Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Council home-can you apply anywhere?

(5 Posts)
Othername5 Mon 04-Jan-16 22:33:47

Hi!

My landlord is going to sell the flat I live in making me and my son homeless by the end of February. I have not yet returned to work as little one is still to small and can't find a flat for us that I can afford anywhere.

Can I only apply for social housing in one council or can I apply in several cities?

Thank you!

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jan-16 22:36:15

Different places have different rules. Some places - like where i live, you have to have a local connection.

What you need to do is identify all the areas you want to apply to and visit their websites and find their criteria.

Othername5 Mon 04-Jan-16 22:37:51

Can you apply to more than one at the same time? I don't really mind where I live as long as it's clean.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 04-Jan-16 22:42:01

In most places I believe you have to have a local connection. The years that qualify you change, depending on the council involved, but usually you need to have close family living there for X amount of years, have lived there yourself for X amount of years, work in the area for X amount of years, etc.

You'd then be given a priority level. To be honest, you're probably unlikely to find a council house before the end of Feb in most parts of England, so you're likely to get advised to stay until you're taken to court by the landlord. The council that you're in would then have to find you emergency accommodation. If you leave before that point, though, you won't be entitled to the same help. They make you wait until the very last moment possible.

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jan-16 22:45:36

Yes you can apply to anywhere you meet the criteria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now