Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Declaring anti-social behaviour when selling a house

(4 Posts)
theplatenexttome Sat 02-Jan-16 22:23:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HortonWho Sat 02-Jan-16 22:27:32

They're not your neighbours, so no.

Honestly, everyone always makes a huge deal about declaring neighbouring disputes, but the truth is if you don't, and the new owner decides to "sue" ... What would they sue you for exactly? They would need to prove in court that not declaring it somehow cost them X amount, which is very difficult and costly even when there's a very legitimate case.

HortonWho Sat 02-Jan-16 22:28:17

Sorry, I didn't see which section this was. I'm not a solicitor, this is just my opinion.

N1cholas Sun 03-Jan-16 14:22:23

You don't have any obligation to volunteer the information, but if they specifically asked you whether there were any issues with anti-social behaviour in the area and you said no, and they bought your house and discovered they could potentially argue that this was a misrepresentation, take you to court seeking damages or the reversal of the sale, as well as the very high costs of doing so.

So, no duty to volunteer the drug dealing, but be very careful how you answer any questions a buyer raises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now