Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

benefits for EU national

(2 Posts)
bedheadrestless Tue 29-Dec-15 12:27:24

I am employing a German woman who escaped domestic violence and moved to the UK where she has family support.
She doesn't know much English (learning) so she can't get a job in her field. I employ her for 16 hours a week.
She has a son that goes to college so is about 17ish.
She has been in the country for a year and had lived on the money that I pay her and family support.
Would she qualify for any benefits? She has applied to housing benefit but no answer on about four months and the council wouldn't even answer the phone. I have tried many times. And hey don't have a face to face meeting point any more.
She was rejected for tax credits because she doesn't work enough hours. What is the minimum she should b working? I thought it was 16.
Where else can she look for help with her rent? Are there places that can help her with her housing because of her domestic violence situation?

prh47bridge Tue 29-Dec-15 14:10:18

To qualify for working tax credits she needs to be working at least 30 hours per week.

Whether or not she qualifies for other benefits depends on her earnings, level of savings, whether she is living with her family and so on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: