Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

POA?

(6 Posts)
mincepieprivateeye Sat 26-Dec-15 09:24:11

If a person has dementia and is taken to a solicitor for POA, is it normal for only the financial to be done and not the health as well?
Thanks fsmile

mumblechum1 Sat 26-Dec-15 12:09:16

To have both done will obviously cost more, though not necessarily double.

I run a will writing company and often the client only wants P&F.

mincepieprivateeye Sat 26-Dec-15 15:51:35

Thanks Mumble. The person with dementia can very easily afford the cost plus it was the one taking on POA that offered to pay. Apparently it was the solicitor who was unconcern regarding the health one, though the elderly person does have health problems as well as dementia and does need to be accompanied when visiting the doctor as needs help explaining and prompts to remember

mumblechum1 Sat 26-Dec-15 22:42:49

Health and welfare LPA is essential, in my view, where there is no close family, but often not necessary where there are close family members and not likely to be any disagreement.

Why do you think there should be a H&W LPA?

mumblechum1 Sat 26-Dec-15 22:46:31

Sorry pressed post too soon. The docs are usually happy to discuss care etc with NOK, they won't insist on an LPA

Butteredparsnips Sat 26-Dec-15 22:59:37

Depends upon individual circumstances. I am a Health Prof and also have financial POA for my own DM. I have chosen not to be an attorney for her health, because I would not want to carry out her wishes in that regard and believe that she would be better served by a "best interest" decision.

That said, in my experience many people do go for both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now