Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Not in the public interest

(5 Posts)
Luxyelectro Mon 21-Dec-15 17:07:43

Any solicitors legal experts about?

I was a victim in a crime. Can't really say what type except it's serious.

Cps have said that it's not in the public interest to prosecute despite the other person admitting they have done it and other evidence proving this to be the case

How can the CPS decide what laws to prosecute and which one not to?

Heatherplant Mon 21-Dec-15 17:11:07

www.cps.gov.uk/victims_witnesses/victims_right_to_review/

You have a right to get the decision reviewed, hope this helps.

Luxyelectro Mon 21-Dec-15 17:19:33

Thanks heather.
I will of course be requesting a review.
What's not clear is whether it's the same people making the decision as made the first one. The original one was taken high up in the cps so I don't feel like any review would be truly independent anyway

I can't get my head around the decision. It's a hot topic. The law is crystal clear and even lists as an example of breaking that law as what happened to me. There is no great area and I sayoect the issue is that the publicity would be unwelcome. There have been no successful prosecutions of this crime at all as yet and yet the law isn't new.

Heatherplant Mon 21-Dec-15 17:35:10

I'm no legal expert but had 2 matters reviewed and on both counts the decision was overturned and prosecution went ahead. In my cases the initial decision maker was not the same person who did the review but like I said I'm no expert and only speak from experience rather than knowledge.

Luxyelectro Mon 21-Dec-15 17:40:13

That's good you got your decision overturned heather.
This particular crime is such a hot potato and the govt have been slaughtered in the press over it and their lack of convictions over the last couple of years. I do not think they want my case being the first.
I'm so disappointed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now