Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Should you talk to a lawyer about your grievances at work?

(10 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Thu 17-Dec-15 11:05:52

I have no experience in this matter and would appreciate your advice.

If you truly think you have been unfairly treated by your boss over the last few years, should you talk to an employment lawyer about your grievances?

In this situation, you don't know what to do. Should you make a formal complaint, with the presence of your lawyer? If you win or lose, will you be able to stay in your current company or will you be forced out?

Can questions like these be answered truthfully by an employment lawyer? And do you have to pay fees for the answers?

Thank you

prh47bridge Thu 17-Dec-15 13:45:37

You should always exhaust your company's grievance process before doing anything else. Most companies will not allow you to be represented by a lawyer during that process. I would certainly recommend against as you will not be able to reclaim your legal costs from your employer and the involvement of a lawyer may tend to polarise positions, making an amicable resolution less likely.

icklekid Thu 17-Dec-15 13:46:23

If you have an hr manager at work talk to them first...

Nicegreenhandbag Thu 17-Dec-15 21:08:41

As above, follow your firm's grievance policy which should be in your company handbook/pc/shared drive (to avoid you asking for it). Follow it to the word and take a trusted colleague with you to any meetings with HR/boss. Only when you've exhausted that process could you think about an employment lawyer. To avoid fees why not speak to an employment adviser at the Citizens Advice Bureau. They used to do representation at tribunals too, if you get that far.

Radiatorvalves Thu 17-Dec-15 21:26:25

If you do not exhaust the grievance procedure, any award that is made in the tribunal us likely to be reduced.

Fiona2011231 Fri 18-Dec-15 13:35:17

Great advice. Thanks a lot for your kind help.

JaneAustinAllegro Fri 18-Dec-15 13:40:03

Depending on what your issue is, and how you wish to remain on terms with your employer, an employment lawyer can give you very good advice as to what options are open to you - some early advice can prevent you from blundering in all guns blazing where you feel you have been slighted but in the eyes of your employment handbook and / or the law, the company has acted completely correctly. I am currently exiting on excellent terms, with a hug and a handshake plus a moderate payoff in a situation where the employment lawyer has set out my options and how they'd be achievable. I was therefore able to make an informed decision about how to handle my situation and chose not to go through any grievance process / legal route but to have a direct conversation instead. I'm much happier this way, although I may have less cash in my pocket - the ongoing relationship is far more important to me.

JaneAustinAllegro Fri 18-Dec-15 13:40:58

if i write Hermione Granger's name here, it might summon her to the thread - she gives excellent pragmatic advice

DPotter Fri 18-Dec-15 13:52:54

Join a union - even if there isn't a steward at your place of work, most unions have legal dept to advise members. Would be cheaper than a solicitor. I agree you have to exhaust your employers grievance procedure first.

traviata Fri 18-Dec-15 14:07:04

ACAS have good information on their site.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: