Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

definition of adultery

(4 Posts)
fallenangel14 Tue 15-Dec-15 13:05:36

Can a spouse claim adultery against her partner for a divorce on the grounds of that person having an emotional affair or would that come under 'unreasonable behaviour'?

AnneLovesGilbert Tue 15-Dec-15 13:14:05

You might find helpful: "Adultery is defined as your spouse has had sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex and that the other spouse cannot continue to live with them."

It's from www.divorce-online.co.uk/blog/using-adultery-as-a-reason-for-divorce/ and supports what I understood, which is that adultery is very specific. It also has to have occurred in the preceding 6 months I think.

By far the most common reason used these days in Unreasonable Behaviour, which you'll find easy given the reasons you've stated.

Collaborate Tue 15-Dec-15 13:45:03

Sexual intercourse is defined as penetrative sex i.e. penis and vagina. So sexual contact falling short of this doesn't count (*have to get picture of Bill and Monica and that dress out of my head*).

fallenangel14 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:21:45

Thanks, that's helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now