Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Court of living with new partner/religion

(4 Posts)
Bev1992 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:22:23

Who should be the next Milk Tray man (or woman?)

Talk Lone parents
Court and bringing up daughter in Muslim household.2
Today 18:41 Bev1992

If anyone has any knowledge about this. Me and my daughters father separated back earlier this year.he has a new gf and I have A new partner.mr a.these are the circumstances..
My ex partner(father to my daughter) know/knew I was with this man,I'll call him mr a, who I've known for a very long time and happens to be Muslim. My ex had been racist towards him and has caused lots of problems and worries for myself..so I decided to make things easier to end the relationship with mr a. I know I want to be with mr a, we both want children and marriage ect (one thing my ex didn't want) but he has said he does not want our daughter being brought up in a Muslim house hold and would be willing to go to court over it.
I myself, am not Muslim and yes if we had cchildren they would be...but in regards to my daughter she would not be brought up Muslim and would have a choice when she is older. Mr a is also very excepting of her and says the same as it would be her choice when she is older and it wouldn't be forced on her.she would also not be brought up different to her brothers and sister and we would never say that they were only half siblings.
I want to be with this man but I've been so worried ect about the out come I've ended the relationship. Does anyone where he would stand on the matter if we did ever live together? He has only been registered on her birth cert for 3 months and hasn't been around much as his work ect and social life.ive always been the main person in her life but he is finiancially better of than me. What writes would he have to say he doesn't want her to live me with me as my partner is Muslim and we would have Muslim children? Any info would be great as I have no idea what todo for the best as I would never risk potentially loosing my daughter. Thanks

Fuckitfay Mon 14-Dec-15 23:07:48

Raising an objection to your daughter living with you because you and your partner practise Islam would not be tolerated for a moment by a court as religious discrimination. Why do you think his prejudices would be considered a valid objection?

He only has rights to be consulted about your daughter's religion and major decisions about her religion need to be agreed between you in the joint exercise of her parental responsibility such as baptising her into a faith or sending her to a faith school as a father with parental responsibility.

He does NOT have the right to dictate who you have a relationship with, nor to dictate you and your partner and your daughter's step siblings' religions.

It is also appropriate for her to be educated about both parents' religious beliefs and that may involve living in different ways when she stays in each of your homes assuming she will have some overnight contact with her father in the future.

Bev1992 Tue 15-Dec-15 10:26:35

Thanks for you knowledge. I did read that he has a right regarding her religion ect but I did not know how my circumstances would pan out in court in regards to how much rights would he have. He him self is not religious and neither am I. Though mr a and our children would be Muslim they would simply be educated about Islam until they were old enough to decide for themselves as the same with my daughter. Thank you for your advice.

Fuckitfay Wed 16-Dec-15 07:47:09

No problem sorry typing wasnt brilliant above on phone but you got the gist. hopefully you can communicate to explain the circumstances before there is too much difficulty between you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now