Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Seller and Estate Agent did not declare issues with neighbours

(4 Posts)
Flatsfromnowon Mon 07-Dec-15 11:48:55

Hello,

Can anyone assist I wonder? It would be appreciated.

Before buying our flat we checked with the seller and agents whether there were any issues with any of the neighbours in the block. We were told no and no information was provided on the legal society forms.

At the point of buying we did query a large one off increase in the service charge and was told that the matter was dealt with and as the account was for last year was not a concern as the seller has paid.

However since moving in it has become apparent that there is an issue with the residents of another flat in the block. Serious issues which if I had known about I would not have moved here with my daughter.

I am wondering whether there are any official complaints routes that are open to me. I feel that this flat was mis sold to us because information about those particular neighbours was not included; there have been disputes which are evidenced because certain measures had to be taken which increased the service charge but these were at no stage highlighted or passed on even when we queried.

Thanks in hopefulness!

flanjabelle Mon 07-Dec-15 11:53:01

What are the issues?

I thought it only had to be declared if there has been a dispute between the seller and that neighbour. If they have not actually raised a dispute then they aren't legally obliged to tell you. unfortunately some people actively avoid raising a dispute as they are aware they would have to declare it. That was my understanding of it, happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

So sorry you are in this situation op. I hope someone a bit more knowledgeable comes along soon.

Seeyounearertime Mon 07-Dec-15 11:55:16

I'm not sure I can help but I did find this:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2097200-Help-weve-moved-but-seller-has-not-disclosed-neighbour-dispute

There may be help there.

Flatsfromnowon Tue 08-Dec-15 20:24:31

Thanks both. I don't want to give too many details but you have both been a help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now