Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Roughly how long does a child Residency Order take

(5 Posts)
cro1234567 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:02:32

Hi there!

As a family we are looking into taking an ex to court for a child residency order as contact is often being withheld

Does anyone have any experience in this and roughly how long it takes from submitting to being complete? and roughly how much it might cost?

Regards

cro1234567 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:43:14

Bumpety

CheeseandGherkins Mon 30-Nov-15 22:44:38

Probably best to ask a solicitor as I presume the times and costs would vary due to individual circumstances.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 01-Dec-15 08:36:23

Two years ago I was looking at this up to £20K was the cost quoted and time wise no time scale was given. Mine was a complex case involving child protection issues and was looking at it being fought every step of the way and needing a barrister.

Fuckitfay Tue 01-Dec-15 10:19:50

The timescales should be around

6 weeks from issue to first hearing
13 weeks to second hearing (during this period likely to be a Cafcass report)
4-6 weeks to final hearing

Although many older cases took much longer than this the courts are trying to crack down on timescales

However depends entirely if your case is highly disputed and an agreement can end the proceedings at any stage

Costs depend on the attitude of the other party and level of dispute and the hourly rate of your solicitor and whether you ask a solicitor to act for you throughout or decide to reduce costs by doing an element of DIY or self representation. But £20k, £30k, £40k plus to final hearing easily if you have full representation throughout

Go and see a solicitor or two for a first appointment, choose one who gets you and is interested in helping you reach an amicable agreement and keep costs down

It is compulsory to consider mediation before issuing proceedings by having a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a mediator unless specified exemptions apply such as DV

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now