Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

other side's solicitor communicating with court

(11 Posts)
bibliomania Mon 30-Nov-15 11:43:19

Family law case - dispute over child living arrangements, in and out of court over years.

Ex currently paying for solicitor, I'm self-repp'ing. 4-day fact-finding hearing scheduled for early next year. As exH had representation, the court order says his solicitor will do the bundle. He agreed to this. Now he reckons he can't afford it (I actually have some sympathy for him on this, as I don't think he realised what he was agreeing to).

ExH has now told me that his solicitor wrote to the judge last week saying he wouldn't be doing the bundle, and couldn't the judge just make a decision based on his previous representations? This sounds very odd to me, and I don't think exH has got it right. I've asked for a copy of the letter, so won't prejudge the contents till I've seen them. But the question is this - should his solicitor be communicating to the judge without even letting me know?

I'm prepared to do the bundle myself if need be, so that's not the issue. It's more about feeling on the back-foot that any discussions about court might be had without my knowledge or input.

CadburysTastesVileNow Mon 30-Nov-15 13:19:47

I've heard horror stories about documents being left out of bundles prepared by the 'other side'.

I'd do it myself if poss.

bibliomania Mon 30-Nov-15 13:44:15

Thanks Cadburys, my ex would definitely try to do this if he could get away with it. I was just hoping that his solicitor would avoid anything dodgy, given that it wouldn't do her reputation with the judge any good.

Bellemere Mon 30-Nov-15 16:53:19

That sounds bizarre. You can't just not do a bundle, especially for a hearing of that length!

bibliomania Tue 01-Dec-15 11:10:08

I'm the applicant so I understand the bundle is normally my responsibility - the judge proposed exH do it as he had representation and I didn't. ExH agreed, but I assume he is now saying it should be my responsibility. I'm okay with that, just alarmed that this has apparently been going on with nobody telling me.

aginghippy Tue 01-Dec-15 11:32:06

But your ex did tell you about it confused Isn't that how you found out about the letter?

Just do the bundle. You are probably better off doing it yourself anyway, so you can be sure all relevant documents are included.

bibliomania Tue 01-Dec-15 11:32:43

So now I've got the letter, with an apology for not sending it to me before. Looks like I'm doing the bundle, which is fine. I presume it's a cock-up rather than a conspiracy that I wasn't told about this earlier on.

Bellemere Tue 01-Dec-15 13:13:31

Umm, I don't think that's right. The applicant does it unless they are not represented, in which case the respondent does it. If neither party is represented then it could be your responsibility or the court may do it for you.

Probably best to do it yourself though - that means you know everything that should be in there is there.

bibliomania Tue 01-Dec-15 13:41:13

Yes, for peace of mind, I'm happy to do it.

babybarrister Wed 02-Dec-15 18:41:32

the law on bundles is contained in the family procedure rules 2010 rule 27A - generally if you are the applicant but self repping and the other side is represented then they do the bundles

having said that:

1. you would have to pay for the bundle anyway
2. you lose control over the contents

have a read of rule 27A - particularly re length of bundle etc

bibliomania Thu 03-Dec-15 09:23:36

Thanks, baby barrister, that's very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now