Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I was advised a medicolegal matter is a scam, what do I do?

(22 Posts)
howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 15:00:15

I spoke to a charity for my rare condition today. They told me to report some Doctors to the GMC. They are taking on work they are claiming to be specialists in, when the charity have never heard of them.

I was put in touch with solicitor after an accident via car insurance legal protection.

The last Doctor made stuff up and when I told the charity what they wrote they were horrified.

Whilst it's horrible doing this to me. Legal fees and medical reports getting paid, me no compensation at this rate, there is a big problem with our condition, parents falsely accused of NIA and FII. It's horrific to think these people behaving like this and the damage they could cause claiming to be experts in a rare condition when they are not.

What can I do?

nothruroad Mon 23-Nov-15 15:09:14

Can't you just report them to the GMC like the charity asked? I assume this would trigger some sort of investigation.

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 15:21:46

I have just reported the second to the gmc, you have to email after the first.

What about the solicitors, they tried to bully me before by finding me a thousand pounds if I didn't take rubbish reports, I told them all the way through where to go for specialists and they get these instead. I lost my case over them. I want to stop this before innocents get hurt by them. I am crippled that's bad enough, some child may be wrongly removed from their family by this lot. sadangry

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 15:52:38

Automated response for the email, a two week wait for a response apparently as they have a large volume of enquiries. sad

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 23-Nov-15 16:07:17

There is the Solicitors regulations authority you can report solicitors to.

The law society advice is to complain to the solicitors firm themselves first and then if nort resolved contact the SRA.

iklboo Mon 23-Nov-15 16:12:54

Rebuild - the two week thing with GMC is an automated response. Sometimes you can get a reply a lot quicker. They won't be able to get you or pay you compensation though - they only look at whether what the doctors did needs them ( the GMC) to act on how the doctors can work.

lougle Mon 23-Nov-15 17:06:40

So are you saying that you have tworked complaints?:
1. The solicitors
2. The doctors.

If you feel that the solicitor was inappropriate you can complain to their firm and their registered body.

You've already reported the doctor to the NMC.

You could complain to the insurance company.

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 17:30:00

they only look at whether what the doctors did needs them ( the GMC) to act on how the doctors can work. Yes I realised that is all they can do.

So what do I say to the law firm? I was dealing with compliance at one stage when threatened with the thousand pounds.

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 17:31:43

What should I say to the insurance company? I tend to go round the houses, bore people and they take me words as meaning things not intended because I am not very articulate.

iklboo Mon 23-Nov-15 17:42:53

Can you speak to an advocate who will act on your behalf. They will work with you on your complaint until you're happy with what they've written for you and have captured what you want to say.

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 17:45:36

I tried one before, she didn't get my condition and would say really offensive classic things like, you don't look ill. I got very upset by her, it gave me more stress.

lougle Mon 23-Nov-15 18:02:05

Can you give some idea of what was said that was wrong? There is a difference between being factually incorrect but diligent and being negligent.

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 18:21:55

Ok, one thing he said I was 9/9 on the Brighton scale. I am not and never could be, anyone with a speciality in my condition would know that and be able to test for that. The other one was a geneticist wanting to test me when there is no genetic test for my type of the condition, again a specialist in the condition would know this. An average rhumy or geneticist would not know this, only a specialist. The charity have not heard of them and were alarmed at these Doctors touting for business as specialists in the condition, when they clearly are not.

iklboo Mon 23-Nov-15 18:56:27

Did the doctors specifically state that they were specialists - or did your solicitors tell you they were specialists? That may make a difference.

howtorebuild Mon 23-Nov-15 19:04:16

He told me they were and they took on the job, they knew I had the condition, and that they needed to report on it's affecting me being injured. Regardless of me, it's too late for me, they could be talking crap about other families in court, not a loss of compensation, a loss of a child from their family of origin.

iklboo Mon 23-Nov-15 19:09:07

That's not necessarily the case. If your solicitor has been...less than honest, shall we say, he could have been less than honest with the doctors as well - providing incorrect or incomplete information, deliberately withholding details, asking for the wrong types of report or asking the wrong questions. It's not unheard of in medico legal circles.

I presume you have seen & been examined by the doctors rather than them just being sent info by your solicitor?

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Tue 24-Nov-15 19:43:18

Have you thought about contacting your MLE insurer, to get different sols? Have your objections to the medical report/expert comments been made in writing, & their response/threat in writing too? MLE are ultimately funding these sols & the medical expert so I think they'd be interested in what's gone on. It would be really useful if all you've said here is in writing.

You can still do everything else suggested re SRA & GMC, but you might be able to move to different sols, funded by MLE while the conduct of both original sols & med expert looked at.

howtorebuild Tue 24-Nov-15 19:58:11

I was seen by the first, not the second I was assured after the last issue was an actual expert in my condition this time.

I can't remember my insurer, will find out.

howtorebuild Wed 25-Nov-15 15:55:22

I got through to the insurers, first central, after half an hour I was told to go to the CAB, as this firm was some umbrella of their legal team. The guy couldn't transfer me, he deals with car crashes apparently. He spoke to the solicitor and they are calling me back. I have been given paperwork to sign away lots to say I will not claim over ten thousand pounds and vArious other things I disagree with, I don't know why I was given this to sign. It says I will agree to what the unqualified thumbs who is incompetent says and a geneticist when they'Re unheard of by the charity and there is no genetic test. I am being royally screwed over. Should I tell the court or what I hate they can do this to pe, the char is right site a money making scam with the legal team and doctors using people giving them false hope, wasting their time going to medical.

howtorebuild Wed 25-Nov-15 15:57:39

I feel used, aand if I don't do this I will be finest thousand pounds, they threatened me with that before. I feel like I am in abusive relationship.

howtorebuild Wed 25-Nov-15 16:00:26

So I end up paying useless insurance policy, I go around to appointments getting upset, my hopes up, ill and wrecked knees, and they make work for themselves and I get next to nothing for my injuries. sad

howtorebuild Wed 25-Nov-15 16:13:55

It doesn't matter I will write to the court via email to explain and see what they say, probably lose the case and get a fine of a thousand pounds on top. I am so depressed let down again by the people who should help me, upsets me more than anything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: