Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Received a C6 - why?

(7 Posts)
dulcefarniente Tue 17-Nov-15 19:52:14

ExH' s solicitor drew up a consent order regarding the living/contact arrangements for my dd. I was asked to confirm my agreement with it in writing to the solicitor which I did and was advised that the paperwork would be forwarded to the court for approval.

I have now received from the court form C6, C7 and a copy of the C100 form. The C6 says I have to attend the court for an hour long hearing.

I was led to believe that there was no need to attend court as we were in agreement, so allowing an hour seems excessive. As I have not been sent the court's copy of the consent order I don't know whether changes were made to it after I wrote to the solicitor.

Could someone explain what is going on please?

Collaborate Wed 18-Nov-15 07:51:33

Courts never simply rubber-stamp the withdrawal of a Children Act application. The judge will still want to hear from you both.

dulcefarniente Wed 18-Nov-15 21:09:18

Sorry Collaborate I don't understand why this is a withdrawal of a Children Act application. This is just formalizing the contact arrangements that have been in place since he left. We are in agreement. I will be in court on my own as he lives at the other end of the country and won't be able to attend.

dulcefarniente Wed 18-Nov-15 21:12:08

Can he get his solicitor or another person to attend on his behalf?

dulcefarniente Wed 18-Nov-15 22:52:45

As everything is agreed could the judge decide there is no need to have a court order? ExH's solicitor was insistent that he had to have one whereas mine said there was no need.

Collaborate Thu 19-Nov-15 11:37:42

You are asking that proceedings be concluded - whether by the making of an order (and I see that it is - my error in previous post) or a simple withdrawal, the court will only do so after speaking to the parties and when it is satisfied that what it is being asked to do is in the best interest of the child.

The judge will not simply glance at a consent order and take your word for it. They will want to hear all about it. From you both. If he can't attend then he needs to write to the court and explain why. He is legally represented. Presumably his solicitors are attending, so that should do.

dulcefarniente Thu 19-Nov-15 18:51:42

Thanks for the clarification Collaborate. He wasn't aware that this would mean having to go to court and will not be impressed that his solicitor didn't make it clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now