Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

buying a house problems

(10 Posts)
ansell71 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:30:50

Hi all
My partner and I are in then middle of buying our first house together and have been hit by a bomb shell.
We are near end of searchs to be told that the current tenant notice is up on 1/1/16.
The property was sold as no chain by the estate agents( who also happen to be the tenants letting agent and our letting agent and landlord, gulp!!)
We weren't advised before this week (offer accepted 16/10/15) that the current tenant would vacate the property till 1st Jan.
do we pull out?? Or wait to see if tenant will move out early as requested??
Looking for any advice plzzz

VimFuego101 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:33:33

You weren't aware that there was a tenant there? Bear in mind that if the tenant refuses to move, it will take a few more months to issue the necessary notices and have them evicted.

MummaGiles Fri 13-Nov-15 17:39:23

If you can get some reassurance that the tenants are definitely going to be vacating at the end of the lease then I would stick with it. Speak to the agents and make sure they know that they have messed up and put the sale in jeapordy - your seller certainly won't be impressed!

JeffsanArsehole Fri 13-Nov-15 17:41:14

It's fine. You just instruct your solicitor you want vacant possession on completion and they'll give notice.

ansell71 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:55:03

We were aware of a tenant on viewing but wrongfully thought she had already been given notice!
We have been told by the letting agent that it was sold with vacant procession but not when we are ready to complete!!

emwithme Fri 13-Nov-15 17:57:05

Do not exchange until there is vacant possession.

The tenants do not have to move out on 1/1/16. They can stay until the Landlord gets a Possession Order from the Court and then enforces it using bailiffs (and if they are waiting for help from the Council then they won't get any if they leave voluntarily before that point).

ansell71 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:57:22

Have spoken to agent no chance of admitting they have messed up! But are Getting tenant viewings at other properties!

ansell71 Fri 13-Nov-15 18:04:18

The most annoying thing is we told the ae that we wanted to complete before Xmas and still were told nothing.

specialsubject Sat 14-Nov-15 13:39:37

surprised your solicitor didn't check this - very lax to put it mildly.

you'll just have to wait and see if the tenant goes. Do not exchange until then, otherwise you start paying out insurance for a property that may not be vacant for months.

TurnWifiOn Mon 16-Nov-15 11:02:42

Very lax but if the tenants are leaving on 1/1/2016 then is it the end of the world?

We had our offer accepted on 22/9 and still haven't exchanged, will be moving first week of new year. Hopefully

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: