Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How do I find out when someone us coming up for trial?

(9 Posts)
Themodernuriahheep Wed 11-Nov-15 22:07:32

I've tried to google, but I don't know the court. I know the name and offence.

TracyBarlow Thu 12-Nov-15 14:25:20

What is the offence?

If it's likely to be serious enough for a crown court trial then listings are published one day in advance on the courtserve website.

If it's a magistrates court trial you'll have to contact the actual court and ask to be put though to listings (it's likely, although not guaranteed to be, at the nearest court to which the offence took place) Many counties now have centralised listings departments so they should be able to put you through. This may also cover crown court listings. . In theory, listings should be publicly available although in practise it's often a challenge to get past the listings clerk if you're joe public. I often have difficulty and it's my job to be in court for the trials!

Themodernuriahheep Thu 12-Nov-15 22:29:36

Thanks v much. Fraud. £££ though not £££££.. Pleading guilty. What sort of court? Magistrates?

I sort of understand why a day in advance may be the only answer, but I've really struggled round the system.

wowfudge Thu 12-Nov-15 23:30:43

Have you had any involvement with the police investigation? If so, the officer working the case will probably tell you. That's what happened where I work. The case made the local paper too.

freshmint Thu 12-Nov-15 23:34:00

If he is pleading guilty he won't have a trial.
He will plead and then be sentenced, which may be on the same day if he has previous and it is serious and he is inevitably going to prison, or more likely it will be 4-6 weeks after his plea is entered. Then it will appear on the court lists as "for sentence".

Themodernuriahheep Fri 13-Nov-15 00:25:40

Ah, thank you. No previous but I'd have thought almost certainly prison. Looking at the sorts of sentences for offences can't see how could be avoided. How long would it normally take from arrest to entering plea? What sort of court?

You can see I know nothing at all about esp the criminal side if the law.

No, don't know who the member if the police force was. And can't ask. V v awkward.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 15-Nov-15 08:17:36

Do you know which area it's likely to be? Probably where the offences took place? Otherwise I think you've got no hope. It will have started off in the magistrates court so even if it's gone to the crown court they might tell you which one.

What's it about and why are you interested?

NicoleWatterson Sun 15-Nov-15 09:21:24

We are the victims of an on going fraud case at the moment, the police haven't kept us informed at all. Our involvement finished once they got their signed statement.

The same thing happened when we were the victims of a theft it was only through word of mouth we heard how the case went.

Either try and track down the officer involved (ours is being dealt with my an officer 60 miles away) or keep looking on the court websites - I found them almost impossible to navigate as well.

Themodernuriahheep Sun 15-Nov-15 15:45:21

Prob greater London

Interested because I know one of the relatives in the issue and want to be supportive but not pry, and avoid putting size 20 feet in it. Not the sort of thing you can ask about, but not knowing what the process is means that all you can do is coo with no comprehension. Which seems pretty pathetic, but if that's all I can do, that's all I can do.

Court websites nightmarish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: