Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Basic 'I should know this stuff' advice sought

(6 Posts)
TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 08-Nov-15 01:04:25


I'm a lone parent with 1 child & am thinking about what I need to do to make sure I 'cover all bases' should anything happen to me. I'm due to undergo (pretty straight forward/not high risk) surgery in the next few weeks & while I've always intended to sort out my affairs, I've never got round to it so this (not high risk) surgery is making think it's about time I got this sorted. I'm not being ridiculously morbid, oh no grin

I intend to find a solicitor to work out what I need to do, but I'm just looking for some advice on the sort of things I need to discuss/think about/do/organise etc. I'm in Scotland.

Basics - I have no savings, a few pensions & a mortgage (50% equity). Insured up to my eyeballs so life cover to take into a/c too. Her dad is involved, sees her fairly regularly, but is v poor with money. I would like to set things up to ensure my DD's needs are met by whatever I leave behind but to protect the bulk of money for her future.

So, just looking for any general tips/advice on what I should be thinking about.


iminshock Sun 08-Nov-15 14:33:44

There is the most fantastic website called Final Fling set up by a Scotswoman. It's mostly about being prepared for death and dying but there is also lots of great advice on generally getting your stuff in order. I wrote my will using this site ( it was free as a special promotion)
I have recommended it to many people

wickedwaterwitch Sun 08-Nov-15 14:34:46

You need a will.

wickedwaterwitch Sun 08-Nov-15 14:35:41

And do you know who would look after your daughter if anything happened to you? Good luck, I hope it goes well

specialsubject Sun 08-Nov-15 14:48:42

it's not morbid. You WILL die. Hopefully you won't die until long after your daughter is independent but you need to plan in case you do.

think about where she would live and who with. Protect her assets from her feckless father ('not good with money' is really infantile).

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 08-Nov-15 18:06:53

Thanks for the replies - I'll check that out iminshock, sounds just what i need to get some ideas.

I presume she would live with her dad, he's on the BC & I think my DD would prefer that. I have some reservations & could think of 2 people who would be better suited, but I think it's probably a battle id lose with my ex (esp if I'm not around to actually argue). I'm mainly concerned with making sure she has the benefit of a financial contribution to her upbringing (a bit like CSA but for when I'm not around) but that is ring fenced for her only (clothes she needs/various costs for the various things that come up etc.). Then keeping say the proceedings from my property locked up until she's much older (to fund university or new home etc.) again being really tight on how that money is spent & that it is for her benefit only. I've got a strong suspicion that her dad would bleat on about needing things & being skint so want to avoid him being able to manipulate her into giving him money etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: