Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How long do i have to press charges?

(8 Posts)
babarthefuckingelephant Fri 06-Nov-15 14:05:35

I was assaulted at 35 weeks pregnant, I was locked in a house with the phone taken from me, all escape routes locked, I had one child in my arms at the time and I had my baby exactly a week later who thankfully is fine, and I was beaten to the ground. I only managed to escape by tearing down the blinds and screaming through the window alerting neighbours,
Police were called and the person (an in law, known to be abusive who we have since cut out of our lives) said i must have been hallucinating, I had genuinely gone into shock and was more concerned for my baby and scared so chose not to press charges at the time although was clear that it did happen.

Is it possible I can go back to the police and ask for this person to be questioned? Im still suffering mentally afterwards and struggling to cope, having flashbacks ect and I just want closure. It happened 7 months ago. Would they do anything now?
There would be evidence
Any help gratefully appreciated!

Sprig1 Fri 06-Nov-15 14:43:45

People get prosecuted for things they did years ago so I can't see why you can't go back to the police now and ask them to persue the matter. I am sure, especially with your circumstances at the time of the assualt, it would not be a problem.

babarthefuckingelephant Fri 06-Nov-15 20:50:21

I just don't know whether to go directly to the police or is there a different department person i should be looking for. I don't feel like i could ring 101 and i can't just go to a police station as Ive moved to a different county since.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 06-Nov-15 20:57:07

It depends on your injuries.
For a common assault ( minor injuries) there is a 6 month limit.
From the details you have given there may be an offence of false imprisonment, there is no limit on that.
If you have moved out of the UK, maybe difficult as you will need to provide a statement,
You need to contact the Police force that covered the area where you lived at the time, or if still in the uk your local force who can contact the other force on your behalf.

babarthefuckingelephant Fri 06-Nov-15 21:22:59

Thanks sixtyfoot, Im still in the Uk just not in the same area so if i rang 101 for example it wouldn't go through to the same police force.

OutToGetYou Fri 06-Nov-15 21:27:58

Isn't it up to the police to follow up, if they were involved at the time? If they spoke to the person and didn't press charges (I believe the police press charges, not individuals) I think it seems like they thought there wasn't a case to answer.

You can bring a private prosecution if that is what you mean.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 06-Nov-15 21:29:13

It doesn't matter about the force, they'll either transfer you or take the report themselves (because you're closer) and liase with the other force.

I deal with multiple forces all the time.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 06-Nov-15 21:43:37

If you dial 101 it will let you ask for the relevant force. As you are still UK, report it to your (now) local force then they can pass on to the force where the offences took place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: