Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

does this sound right to you?

(6 Posts)
Winniethewylde Fri 30-Oct-15 09:18:49

Just after some advice really. I've just started divorce proceedings and now I may be naive to it all but bloody hell, the solicitors charges shockshock

I've just received an invoice for £195, this is after just paying £750 which covered an hour meeting, a few emails/phone calls and some research etc and I'm horrified. Every letter/phone call is being charged at £22.50!

Does this sound right to you? I can totally get why people don't bother divorcing if this is the case.

lougle Fri 30-Oct-15 10:03:54

Sounds about right. Solicitor charges are calculated in 6 minute blocks, so 1/10th of hourly rate. £225 per hour sounds like a typical rate.

Winniethewylde Fri 30-Oct-15 10:05:28

Thank you. I knew it would be expensive but heck, seeing it in black and white...

notasgreenasimcabbagelooking Fri 30-Oct-15 10:06:11

I had a fairly standard financial settlement I reckon. A few extra letters/visits as ex was v v v petty. The bill....£4200!! And that's not a divorce & I'm in a market town in NI!!! In in the wring job!

Winniethewylde Fri 30-Oct-15 10:10:25

That's what I'm fearful of. H is being petty, taking things right to the wire, not replying etc and little did I know every email I send to my solicitor to chase, check how things are progressing are being charged for! Do I just need to sit back and trust that it's all progressing accordingly?

wowfudge Fri 30-Oct-15 14:07:20

Perhaps discuss several matters during the same call so that you don't get charged for a while unit when you've only used part of one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now