Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

new home - putting a shed in garden

(12 Posts)
martine01 Tue 20-Oct-15 16:47:24

Hi, we are in the process of buying a new home from Morris Homes and found out the contract stipulates you cannot put things such as sheds in the garden. Now the property doesn't have a garage so I'm not sure what they expect you to do with your lawnmower and such? I just wondered if anyone has got round this restriction or obtained permission from their builders anyway? Thank you.

SmokeFree Tue 20-Oct-15 17:09:12

Most new build developments include a similar clause in the transfer. This is to prevent people building monstrosities in their gardens whilst the developers try and sell the rest of the estate.

If it helps two relatives of mine have each bought newbuilds with those clauses and both asked permission from the developers to have sheds in their gardens. They were both granted permission for them (different sites and different developers).

martine01 Tue 20-Oct-15 19:36:37

That's useful to know, thank you.

martine01 Tue 20-Oct-15 19:37:31

That's useful to know. Thank you.

canyou Wed 21-Oct-15 10:15:42

We had to ask permission and only buy a certain style size and height. Decide the shed you want and take pics to the management/builders. Aslo check if it is not put on a concrete base it may be allowed

Collaborate Wed 21-Oct-15 10:30:41

Aslo check if it is not put on a concrete base it may be allowed If it's not on a firm dry base it will soon rot.

martine01 Wed 21-Oct-15 21:49:09

Thank you. Am I correct to say they will require or prefer it to be on a sound structure like concrete?

Buttercup27 Wed 21-Oct-15 21:50:54

You'll probably have to ask permission for tv aerials too and sky dishes etc. It's just what you have to do when buying a new house.

canyou Thu 22-Oct-15 09:32:00

Awe were noyt allowed a concrete base angry we were told dig diwn put in dry lining and then use chipped stones, so we did that then put in a wooden platform above the stone , put the shed onto the platform as we were allowed wooden decking but not a stone patio smile And yes we needed permission for a sky dish and a side gate. We sold and moved to a detched house in the country when they objected to DC playhouse and swing set.

specialsubject Thu 22-Oct-15 11:31:16

BTW if they object to outdoor drying, don't buy it as a matter of principle.

martine01 Thu 22-Oct-15 17:45:02

Oh wow you can't dry washing outdoor?
Did people agree these things before exchanging contracts or after completion I wonder?

specialsubject Thu 22-Oct-15 17:53:24

I have heard of it in some places; mostly in America where energy is too cheap but apparently it does come up in the UK. Ridiculous.

may it NEVER be obeyed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now