Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sorry fences again! It's down on the deeds as shared - not one side or the other's

(21 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Oct-15 11:18:46

I know the deeds thing for a fact as I made a point of checking when we bought the house whose fence is whose so I knew which ones we had to upkeep - it's a row of semis that back onto another street's row of semis with the usual system of one side of each garden is that house's "fence" so to speak. The issue is the back fence which is on the deeds as shared between the two houses - and the guy out the back is an utterly inconsiderate twat.

We've put up with a lot from him over the years for the sake of peace and quiet - his back garden lights that blare right into our windows making one bedroom and the upstairs loo feel like you're on a floodlit football pitch when they're all on (we just moved ourselves into the box room to get the kids' room away from these lights rather than fight any battle as they're the sort that don't angle down at all and there's no way he'd ditch them)... but the fence thing is really really getting me down.

Basically it's one of those sets of fence panels that slot into the concrete uprights that you can lift up and down at will. He is very fond of doing so, and wandering into our garden without asking us, in order to faff about with his ruddy garden shed he built right up to the borderline but is determined to paint with whatever the "in" colour is in the B+Q outdoor living aisle for this season. He takes fence panels out for days at a time and has been known to wander into our garden and even use the kids cosy coupe as a rest for his paint tin.

I've no real issue in him pulling fence panels out - as long as I know to expect the sight of some random bloke's arse in the back garden and so I don't let the dogs or kids out into the garden expecting it to be secure when it's not - but he refuses to even just yell over the fence that he's going to be doing some fiddling in advance. It came to a head last time he did it when I finally went out (DH has been "dealing" with it) and told him I was starting to get panic attacks because of not feeling secure in my own home and could he please let me know if he was going to be pulling the fence out so he didn't end up with dogs or toddlers in his garden. He just called me fucking mental and told me to go ring the police. DH then went out and funnily he was all charm and cooperation with him - DH being a very big bloke and me being a little pathetic woman - he's obviously not bothered by requests from the "easier" target.

So I've just looked out and there are fence panels out again, he's painting other bits of his side of the fence plus the top of the fence in the current colour of the week and the fucker's dribbled paint all down our side so now our side looks bloody ridiculous in the bits of the fence we actually HAVE. I can't let the kids out to enjoy the remaining nice bit of the weather and I'm sat here panicking about it all again.

From what I've looked up our rights are going to be minimal and amount to us being able to be as much of a twat as he is - I'm not wanting to get into an eternal epic war of him pulling up fence panels so we pull up fence panels and paint them purple then pink or whatever - I just want our garden to remain secure so we can use it... I've long since accepted I'm not going to be able to stop him being an inconsiderate tosser on the other front!

PS apparently sage green was soooo 2015 and it's duck egg blue going toward 2016...

LemonBreeland Tue 20-Oct-15 11:22:04

In your situation I would put up another fence right nest to that one, or some bamboo screening so he can't just access your garden.

Clearly there is no reasoning with him.

PatriciaHolm Tue 20-Oct-15 11:24:50

I'd be tempted to put in another fence just your side of the boundary, just inside the current one. So it's clearly your fence, on your land.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 20-Oct-15 11:26:58

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of removing fence panels, he shouldn't be trespassing into your garden. Can you put a fence up on your side of the shared fence, a couple of inches inside your boundary? And then grow screening plants against it. It doesn't have to be a solid fence, post and wire put to shoulder height would do, enough to keep your DC and dog in and him out. If it's solid enough to support climbing plants then you won't even be able to see his drippy-painty fence.

If it were me I would be having a big argument followed by a complaint to the police if the trespassing continued, but if you have anxiety then just go for the solution that involves the least amount of confrontation.

Tuiles Tue 20-Oct-15 11:27:18

Yes I'd go with the second fence thing too

Scarydinosaurs Tue 20-Oct-15 11:28:06

As ^^ suggested, put another fence up. You will feel SO much better.

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 20-Oct-15 11:29:03

How big is your garden? Could you afford to loose a bit? Could you put up a new fence? You could get your DH to use the space between the two, regularly so you don't loose rights to the space between but it would get over the fact that he can come into your garden.

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 20-Oct-15 11:29:36

Ha ha, I am not alone with that idea.

howtorebuild Tue 20-Oct-15 11:31:46

I agree, put up a second fence.

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Oct-15 11:41:36

Yeah you're kind of confirming my thinking on it all really with the second fence thing. I hoped we'd got through to him last time but obviously not so we're going to have to do something on our side to keep him out.

He's such a diy fiddler I hope he runs out of stuff to do and looks to buy a new house sooner rather than later!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 20-Oct-15 11:54:19

Take lots of photos too, of the current fence with panels removed, of your neighbour standing in your garden (take the photos from inside if you're worried about him). Take photos while the new fence is being put up, put something like a ruler down to show the size of the gap between your fence and the shared fence. Keep the receipts for the fencing materials so you can show that you paid for it.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 20-Oct-15 11:58:32

It might be a shared fence but that doesn't mean he's allowed to access your land without permission. Can you stick some nails in somehow so it can't slide up? Solicitors letter telling him not to trespass??

Whatevva Tue 20-Oct-15 12:01:04

I would be tempted to plant a row of pyrocanthus along the fence with plenty of bonemeal for root growth whilst the soil is still warm and get it off to a good start for spring. Also a eucalyptus to grow fast and reduce the impact from the light.

ChunkyPickle Tue 20-Oct-15 12:06:21

If pyrocanthus are the evil bushes I have in my garden that grow fast, seem to be virtually impossible to kill, and have inch long hidden spikes growing all over (guess how I found this out) - then this....

if not, then you need whatever my bushes are.

Palomb Tue 20-Oct-15 12:11:52

I'd put up a second fence and, if you're not planning to move, ask a solicitor to write him a letter stating that he is not to touch it. Then I'd acquire a catapult and smash the bulbs in his security lighting plant some trees along the new boundary to block the lights from his security lighting.

Whatevva Tue 20-Oct-15 12:12:01

They are indeed evilly spikey, but you can trim them into a nice neat shape against the fence, and they have pretty berries in the autumn which the birds like. If you put them in the right place, they will grow very well, and even if you cut them to the ground they grow back.

wowfudge Tue 20-Oct-15 14:44:23

I was going to suggest prickly plants too - secure them to trellis or something similar driven into the ground right up to fence.

wowfudge Tue 20-Oct-15 14:45:44

And get black out linings for your curtains. Don't move out of your room. If the lights are that bad you could contact environmental health for advice.

Collaborate Tue 20-Oct-15 14:51:48

Neighbours of ours replaced at joint cost our 4 foot fence with a 7 foot one - and no, we hadn't agreed to it. It looked awful, and was also wonky to boot.

We had trellis attached firmly to it, and that spans all of the panels and the concrete posts.

If you do something similar with yours, you'll find your NFH won't be able to remove the panels again. And you'll be able to grow whatever you want up the trellis.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Tue 20-Oct-15 14:56:34

Berberis are evil and spiky too.

I'd go with the second fence option though - losing a couple of inches of land would be worth it to save the pain of having to deal with this idiot,

Collaborate Tue 20-Oct-15 17:07:16

This is our awful fence with added trellis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now