Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Private rent deposit help

(9 Posts)
bumblebee2786 Fri 16-Oct-15 09:44:44

I am (now) a single mum to a 3yo and am expecting #2 in December. Due to split am currently living with my mum but there will not be enough room for little one as well. I have been to the council who were less than helpful really and suggested I rent privately which I don't have a problem with but I cannot afford a big deposit upfront. In my area I'm looking at (at best) £1500. To save that amount of money on benefits is gonna take me several months and that's time I don't have. Has anyone had help from a rent deposit scheme that has actually fronted most of the money? Or can anyone suggest where I could raise that sort of money?

Iamnotloobrushphobic Fri 16-Oct-15 09:49:41

Do you have anything valuable that you could sell?
Have you looked into rent bond schemes where the council will help you with the required deposit?
Will the children's father help you with the cost of putting a roof over his children's heads?
What is the waiting list like for council housing in your area?

The other problem I envisage you might have is finding a property which accepts DSS as lots of landlords don't seem to want tenants who are on benefits especially since the changes to how housing benefit is paid.

bumblebee2786 Fri 16-Oct-15 10:40:34

I don't have anything of value to sell unfortunately, the rent bond scheme in my area (Derby) isn't that they front the cash, they write an assurance letter to the landlord stating if the property is mistreated they will pay for damages up to the value of 1 months rent and I can't see any landlord going for that as well as having to accept housing benefit. Though the council did say I qualify for full rent to be paid by HB.
The kids' father has offered to help out but he doesn't have that sort of money either.
The council told me yesterday I only have 1 point and there are people with 3 or 4 points who are still waiting to be housed into a two bedroom property after years of waiting. I feel a bit defeated at the moment but am trying to stay positive.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Fri 16-Oct-15 11:26:33

If your mum doesn't have room for you and 2 children will you need to leave her house? If she makes you homeless you would be much higher on the priority list for housing.
What happened to the home you shared with your ex? Is he still living there? Could he move out so that you could move in with the children?

HelenF35 Fri 16-Oct-15 11:29:55

The landlord may well go for the assurance as they do not get to keep deposits themselves now anyway. They are held by a third party deposit protection scheme.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 16-Oct-15 13:43:55

I used to be a Landlord and accepted HB tenants, because of this was used to and accepted the letter of assurance. Have you spoken to your council? I was an approved landlord and when I needed a new tenant I contacted the council and they gave me a list of potential tenants.

expatinscotland Fri 16-Oct-15 14:03:05

'If she makes you homeless you would be much higher on the priority list for housing.'

The problem with this strategy is that all too often, the OP and her kids end up in a dodgy B&B possibly many miles from Derby. For a long, long time and then just get put in another private let.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 16-Oct-15 14:08:22

You could move to a cheaper area. That's a large deposit.

expatinscotland Fri 16-Oct-15 14:39:33

I would ring the council's homelessness office and see if they have a list of landlords willing to take an assurance letter and HB. Sadly, the days of getting a council house are long over in many areas. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now