Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I retrain in law starting with an open university masters?

(5 Posts)
Lampkinandthecoachman Wed 02-Sep-15 21:17:12

Just that really. I have an undergraduate degree in social work and have been thinking about starting an open university masters degree in law, but I'm not sure whether I need to start with the undergraduate degree or not? Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

FrancesOldhamKelseyRIP Wed 02-Sep-15 21:18:48

What do you want to do with it? Is it just to beef up general knowledge and skills or do you want to work as a solicitor/barrister?

Lampkinandthecoachman Wed 02-Sep-15 21:23:50

I'm already working quite long hours as a social worker and can't afford to reduce my hours or leave my job to retrain. I suppose I'd be happy enough if it was just to improve my general knowledge/knowledge of children and family law, but it would also be nice to know that it could be a stepping stone to a career change one day

Amummyatlast Fri 04-Sep-15 17:20:58

CILEx do a level 3 (A level standard) qualification in Child Care Law if your main purpose is legal knowledge. Doing a masters won't help you to qualify as a solicitor/barrister/chartered legal executive, if that's want you eventually want to do.

fastdaytears Fri 04-Sep-15 17:31:07

I'm a solicitor and know very few people who have a masters (in law anyway). If you're serious about wanting to get in to the profession then you have to find a way to do the GDL or look at Cilex.
If you're doing it for interest or to help in current career then that's totally different and I'm in no way qualified to advise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now