Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I retrain in law starting with an open university masters?

(3 Posts)
Lampkinandthecoachman Wed 02-Sep-15 21:16:32

Just that really. I have an undergraduate degree in social work and have been thinking about starting an open university masters degree in law, but I'm not sure whether I need to start with the undergraduate degree or not? Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

HereIAm20 Tue 15-Sep-15 19:29:55

If you have a Bachelors degree you can become a solicitor by doing a yearong conversion course (CPE) gollowed by the Legal Practice Course and then a training contract. Doing a masters would be of no use

JanetBlyton Wed 16-Sep-15 09:43:37

As said above what you need to study is full time for 2 years the one year GDL and then the LPC course. You can apply for a training contract before that for starting after and if you are good the law firm may pay your fees over both courses and an allowance but that will depend on things like exam grades.

It would be totally pointless to do a masters degree in law.
If you want to be a barrister then you also do the GDL and then you do the bar course for a year after that and then a pupillage if you are good enough to get one.

My daughters' first degree was not law, same as you and they did the GDL and LPC and then a training contract route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now