Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

No Win No Fee? Car insurance claim problems

(7 Posts)
WildStallions Thu 20-Aug-15 11:25:15

My car was hit in Belgium. The other driver was totally at fault and has admitted it.

However, I didn't realise I only had 3rd party in Europe. So my insurance company won't deal with the claim.

The Belgium insurance company won't talk to us they'll only talk to my insurance company - who refuse to talk to them (because we only have 3rd party).

The car is a write off, and is somewhere in Belgium. Car is worth about £4K, and because we were coming back from holiday has about £1K worth of stuff in it.

Anyone know what I can do to progress this? I have the details of the driver....... Do I have to sue the driver? How can I force the Belgium insurance company to pay out?

They haven't told us anything. I don't know if the car has been assessed or anything. Crash happened 2 weeks ago.

wowfudge Thu 20-Aug-15 14:09:18

What about your travel insurance for your belongings and if you suffered any injuries?

WildStallions Thu 20-Aug-15 15:24:44

Didn't have travel insurance.

I think belongings might be covered by contents insurance but haven't checked yet because trying to hear what the car insurance people say first.

Luckily no injuries.

Collaborate Thu 20-Aug-15 19:15:23

You'll have to instruct a lawyer in Belgium.

WildStallions Thu 20-Aug-15 19:31:29

What do I instruct the lawyer to do?

greenfolder Thu 20-Aug-15 21:19:57

You do not need to instruct a lawyer. Unless you are injured they will not be interested. There are reciprocal arrangements via the Mib green card scheme. The Belgium insurers should have a uk counterpart to deal with you. Under the ec 4th directive you have the right to make the claim in your own country and language. Have a look at the Mib website. They are helpful on the phone if busy at this time of year.

WildStallions Sat 22-Aug-15 21:43:32

Thanks GreenFolder. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you. I've emailed MIB as instructed by their website, and will ring them if they don't reply this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now