Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How do I complain about the time it takes to cancel Sky TV

(9 Posts)
Flufflewuffle Sun 16-Aug-15 19:20:14

Is there an ombudsman or something that I can go to to complain about the amount of time it's taken us to cancel our Sky TV? Complaining to Sky themselves will most likely be useless. We've been on the phone for half an hour now and have told the guy we want to cancel about 20 times now and he's just reading through his script and not listening to a word we say. My husband and I have been taking turns...it's like he's trying to annoy us to the point where we give up and hang up on him. And therefore don't cancel. hmm We've been with them for over 6.5 years...surely we deserve for them to at least listen to us? He won't even listen when we ask to speak to his supervisor.... confused

caroldecker Sun 16-Aug-15 21:28:26

Took me 5 mins on the phone, although it may be different if you on a minimum term contract

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 16-Aug-15 21:30:21

Just write them a letter to thwir head office leaving and complaining about the difficulty of the formal process. 1 side of a4, an envelope and a stamp and its much easier than dealing with the retentions dept.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 16-Aug-15 21:31:25

Can you goon sky services and cancel it that way? Or online?
It would save the hassle.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 16-Aug-15 21:31:42

go on

Flufflewuffle Mon 17-Aug-15 08:07:56

Thanks all! I ended up sending a PM on their Facebook site and someone called Kelly responded quite fast. I've now lodged a formal complaint through the website.
Not sure I'll ever hear back, but it's worth trying. smile

Bexicles Mon 17-Aug-15 11:43:42

Please let us know if they respond, I have been on sky chat for over an hour this morning trying to cancel I eventually renewed my contract at a cheaper price but feel I was brow beaten into it. I agree re the advisor trying to annoy to the point I'd log off.

RedDaisyRed Tue 18-Aug-15 09:54:03

It is a huge huge current issue. In my view they ought to allow cancellation by posted special delivery letter and not insist on these conversations. I charge £360 an hour plus VAT. If they made me stay on a line for 60 minutes I would be expecting £400 compensation for my time. If instead I can type a letter in about 3 minutes I would much prefer that.

RedDaisyRed Tue 18-Aug-15 09:58:11

I am probably the only musmnetter who reads terms and conditions and gets paid to write them.... I just looked at Sky's terms on the website. First it says you can only terminate by webchat or on phone. Then it says you can terminate in writing BUT they still want to waste your time on the telephone. What if you have a phone phobia or actually have a life so don't have time to speak to their sales staff?

Why do they need to verify who you are by phone. Since when has written termination by letter with your address and account number on and your signature not enough?

"4. You must give us at least 31 days’ notice to cancel a Sky Go Extra subscription. Any notice
you give us to cancel a Sky Go Extra subscription (other than where you are exercising your
right to cancel during your cooling-off period for which see ‘ Your Rights to Cancel Your Sky
Go Extra Order’ section below) must be given by phone
(UK - 03442 41 44 14, Ireland – 0818
719 829)
or by using our webchat service on sky.com. Notice given by these means will be
processed immediately. You can also write to us
(Sky Subscribers Services Limited, PO Box
43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7DD)
or e-mail us via your
My Sky
account on
contactus.sky.com. Notice given by these means will not be effective until we have
spoken to you and verified your account. We will acknowledge written requests by return letter
or email and will contact you by phone to verify you as the account holder and process your
cancellation More information on how to cancel can be found at: help.sky.com/my-
account/billing-and-subscription/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription
Your cancellation will be effective at the end of the notice period unless:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now