Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Anyone know about car insurance? Non UK driving license

(18 Posts)
AdoraBell Thu 13-Aug-15 20:55:18

Recently moved back to the UK and don't yet have a UK driving license.

Do you think I'll get insurance to drive on my foreign license? DVLA says I can for 12 month's but insurers for DH's car want me to get a UK license first.


AdoraBell Thu 13-Aug-15 20:56:50

hmm apologies for rogue apostrophe blush

cdtaylornats Fri 14-Aug-15 08:27:24

You might find an answer on the UKYankee board - they have a lot of info and experience of this sort of thing

NotCitrus Fri 14-Aug-15 08:31:57

What country? Usually the answer is you can for a year but it'll cost you and you may need a car insurance broker.
EU licences can I think be swapped for a UK one without a test; Americans have to take a test.

Maltesermom Fri 14-Aug-15 08:40:58

I have a German licence and have never changed it, been in the UK for 10 years. I am also British (haven't a clue if that makes a difference) . I have always ticked the European box when asked what licence i have for insurance x

AdoraBell Fri 14-Aug-15 10:31:18

Thank you.

My license is from Chile, it can't be converted like EU licenses. I'll see how if I get insurance then. Obviously I am not going to bow to pressure from ILs drive without proper insurance.

Blushingm Sun 16-Aug-15 17:34:50

You're only allowed to drive on a foreign license for a year before you've got to exchange it. Some insurers will accept them depending on which country they are from

Blushingm Sun 16-Aug-15 17:36:52

Blushingm Sun 16-Aug-15 17:37:29

Blushingm Sun 16-Aug-15 17:38:44

Maltesermom I think yours needs exchanging

Nolim Sun 16-Aug-15 18:53:44

Op you can drive with your foreign license for a year. You will have to wait something like 6m before being able to apply for a uk lincese. The practical test is hard.

I do t know about insurance with your existing license but be prepared to pay a lot once you get your uk one.

AdoraBell Sun 16-Aug-15 23:36:15

Is the practical test much harder than 25 years ago? I was due to take my test here then but didn't do it. Kicking myself now of course.

DH got insurance through a broker and they won't add me on without a UK license.

We've moved to an area with lot's in walking distance so I'm not under pressure.

Nolim Mon 17-Aug-15 06:40:54

I dont know about the test 25 years ago but i have 2 foreign licenses passed on the first attempt, while the uk one took me 4 attempts.

WidowWadman Mon 17-Aug-15 06:45:51

It doesn't need exchanging. I've been driving and insuring my car, as well as hiring cars and having a company on my German license for 10 years now. I didn't even exchange it when I changed my name at marriage. You can drive on a German licence until you're 70, just like any other EU license without the need to exchange

Blueberrybaby Mon 17-Aug-15 07:14:21

But the OP doesn't have an EU license. Her's is from Chile and so is only valid for 1 year until she must exchange. Unfortunately for the OP her license is not from a 'designated' country I.e Canada, USA, etc because if it were she would be able to do a a straight forward exchange without having to sit a test. Sorry OP! if it helps my DH had a Canadian licence and we got insurance from Aviva who accepted his foreign license - I don't know whether the fact that his license was from a designated driver made a difference or not. You normally have a grace period with insurance and you can cancel- I'd go back to the broker and ask them to find an insurer who will cover you as you are and in the meantime pass your UK test.

Maltesermom Mon 17-Aug-15 08:29:18

I dont think i have to change my licence as it is EU?

AdoraBell Mon 17-Aug-15 11:02:20

Thanks again. Blueberry yes, it is because my license isn't from a country on the DVLA's approved list.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Mon 17-Aug-15 11:10:44

You can get insurance for your year's provision on your foreign license, sure - it will just be more expensive. I drove on my US license when I first arrived in the UK, my employer paid my insurance though so I don't have any idea of the cost.

You'd probably be better off insuring yourself for the year you drive on your Chilean license (as opposed to waiting until you're a UK driver); this way, your insurance under your future UK license will at least have a link back to your old Chilean record. If you enter into the insurance system with a brand-new UK license, they will treat you as a new driver and your premiums will reflect that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now