Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Small claims court - consumer issue

(2 Posts)
Julieb85 Mon 10-Aug-15 11:30:00

Had some trouble with recent building work and since we can't come to an amicable agreement with builder, I think this will end with one of us going through small claims. Do I need to have a solicitor/lawyer for this? Any idea how much this could set us back?

prh47bridge Mon 10-Aug-15 12:39:45

No you don't. Indeed, you shouldn't have a lawyer for this as you will not be able to reclaim your legal costs from the other side even if you win.

The costs depend on the amount you are claiming and whether or not you lodge your claim online. The costs for the initial claim are listed [[ here]. Note that there may be additional costs if there is a hearing or you need to enforce the judgement. You can reclaim the court fees from the other side if you win.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: