Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

employment question

(5 Posts)
smiler01 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:39:21

Hi i was wondering if any one could give me their opinion or any info you might have before we look in to things further.

We had a new employee who was given a 3 month probation period (which is standard for us) during the 3 months we have become aware that this employee is colour blind and our company makes inks so colour is essential, a decision in a board meeting was that we wouldnt continue with the contract when the 3 months is up. however she has just come to us to advise she is 6 weeks pregnant.

Where do we stand with things now? is it possible to still continue as planned or now that she is pregnant is she covered because she is pregnant and so we have no choice but to keep her on?

Thank you in advance for any comments

LIZS Mon 10-Aug-15 10:41:33

I think as long as the ending probation is clearly not related to pg you are ok to proceed. ACAS may be able to advise you of how to go about it. Presumably the colour blindness was not declared previously.

Fizrim Mon 10-Aug-15 10:43:46

Do you ask about colour blindness on the application form or at some point in the employment process? How does it directly affect her role and do you have any other roles that do not need colour recognition? Did she know that she was colour blind before starting the role?

flowery Mon 10-Aug-15 12:16:19

Please don't base decisions on the future of your employee on advice you get from some randoms on the internet.

As an employer you have a responsibility to your staff, and part of that is paying for professional advice, just as I'm sure you do in respect of your accounts and a number of other aspects of your business.

Find someone reputable locally, explain the situation clearly to them, allow them to ask lots of questions and advise you properly on the best and most responsible course of action to do the right thing for your employee and protect your business at the same time.

OllyBJolly Mon 10-Aug-15 12:21:33

What Flowery said.

I'd also suggest you need some advice on your recruitment processes if colour vision is essential for the roles, but testing is not part of your selection procedures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now