Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help please - DH has moved original marriage certificate

(12 Posts)
LyraIsLost Wed 05-Aug-15 16:54:56

I live abroad and am going to apply for a divorce through the UK. The lawyer i spoke to said I need to submit the original marriage certificate but I can't find it anywhere, I think it has been hidden. I don't know that I can get a replacement where I live as red tape is lengthy.

I am in fear at this point, if I come home will they accept a copy in order to proceed? I can't see any other way.

Thank you in advance

honeysucklejasmine Wed 05-Aug-15 16:57:47

I had to look this up yesterday. It shouldn't be too hard to get hold of a copy from abroad... It just takes a little longer and costs a little more than from within the UK. Instructions on the gov.UK website.

Good luck!

Fuckitfay Wed 05-Aug-15 17:11:44

It needs to be an original for the court for divorce proceedings. Did you register your marriage abroad in the Uk ever?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 05-Aug-15 17:23:31

I used a reissued duplicate as ExH had thrown away the original.

YeOldeTrout Wed 05-Aug-15 17:31:16

I thought you could get duplicates; we have duplicates.

spanieleyes Wed 05-Aug-15 18:28:45

I think a duplicate is fine but a copy isn't!

HolgerDanske Wed 05-Aug-15 18:30:23

Yes you can get an extract, I think it's called. Apply to the registry office where you registered your marriage.

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 05-Aug-15 18:30:34

I ordered a duplicate a few weeks ago. It costs about £10 and takes 15 days, or if you pay £24 they'll issue it the next working day. Good luck.

Fuckitfay Wed 05-Aug-15 18:32:43

It's very easy to get a duplicate original from a registry office if a UK wedding but may be difficult if married abroad which sounds like it may be the case for the OP

HolgerDanske Wed 05-Aug-15 18:36:38

Oh yes, were you married in the UK?

Collaborate Wed 05-Aug-15 19:25:44

You never get the original. What you're handed when you marry is the first certified copy. The books have two certificates side by side. Yours is removed from the book (the copy) and given to you. When the book is filled it gets sent to the register office.

You never need the original certificate. Just a properly certified copy.

LyraIsLost Wed 05-Aug-15 19:43:11

Sorry I wasn't clear, we were not married in the UK. The certificate is from abroad. I will go tomorrow and see if I can get a duplicate but if not I am really lost

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: