Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child maintenance paid into a frozen joint account

(5 Posts)
SheerWill Wed 05-Aug-15 09:01:52

I hope someone can help me. My stbxh has had a consent order drawn up and I am about to have it checked over by a solicitor(I have an appointment in 2 weeks). I have been put under considerable pressure to get it signed by both he and his current gf to the point where he has frozen our joint bank account which has I my ever been used by me (although he has used it to pay in child maintenance). I did email him my new bank details but did it using my phone so sent them to the wrong email address by accident. Once this error had been pointed out I apologised and gave him my new bank details. However the bank will not transfer the maintenance payment he made for August without his permission and he is refusing to move the money until I have signed the consent order giving me no access to money for this month. He says he is taking legal advice about this but I'm sure this is their way of trying to get me to sign the consent order more quickly. This whole situation has been very stressful and I just don't ever seem to be able to get it right. He has narcissistic tendencies and was very emotionally abusive during the marriage, so I'm caught between giving into him (which has always been easier) or standing my ground but then have no access to funds. Please help.

sleeponeday Thu 06-Aug-15 18:33:09

hopefully someone with legal knowledge will be along to advise you, but: it would be very, very stupid to sign a long term financial agreement for such short term reasons.

If he is willing to apply such extreme pressure to bounce you into signing without legal advice, you need to stop and think about whose interests that is likely to be in?

Can you borrow from anyone, or explain to the bank and ask for a short term agreed overdraft?

Morganly Sat 08-Aug-15 21:33:40

Definitely, do not sign anything until you have seen your solicitor. Can you just go overdrawn until he moves the money or you get the next maintenance payment? What a bully.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 08-Aug-15 21:36:11

It's blackmail. Point it out to him and his solicitor in writing.

butterflygirl15 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:38:33

I agree - don't sign anything. Can you claim for maintenance via CSA instead?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: