Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is anyone here a solicitor?

(34 Posts)
Myturnnow4 Fri 31-Jul-15 14:38:43

I'm dealing with a solicitor in order to take my ex-partner off the mortgage and deeds and to clarify that he have no future interest in my house etc. I'm starting to lack confidence in her abilities, but I don't know if I'm being unreasonable. Her emails are a bit strange, and they are riddled with spelling mistakes and typos (missing letters).

Should I raise my concerns?

ToniR18 Fri 31-Jul-15 22:07:20

Hi I need advice please Iwas born in I now.live out the country the father of my oldest child is still in Scotland hes threattsthreatting to bring me back and to stop me from leveing if I visit. Hes on the birth cert but never paid a penny to the child and never wanted to see him up untill now as the hard work is done and hes not ALLOWED to see his other son x please help x

WonkyPonky Fri 31-Jul-15 22:25:46

Yes. I suspect you are not dealing with a solicitor but perhaps someone junior in the firm.

Stripeysocksarecool Fri 31-Jul-15 23:28:32

Depends OP. Typos and spelling mistakes aren't tolerated where I work but some high street firms don't seem to bother about that sort of thing. It's possible that you are either dealing with a paralegal or a solicitor who doesn't think it's important to write properly. I'm not surprised you lack confidence in the solicitors abilities if she can't even send you an email free of spelling mistakes - creates a very bad impression.

Is it too late to go elsewhere?

Myturnnow4 Sat 01-Aug-15 05:25:53

When I wrote my OP I did then ring the office and discretely as possible ask if she was a solicitor - she is. It's a bit too late to swap, an initial sum has been paid.
I'm a bit concerned because of the content of the emails too. Nothing is very clear and some of it is a bit patronising. I'm not really sure what to do for the best. I just want this whole thing done and Friday's email suggested that we're back on track after a little "miss-understanding".

Myturnnow4 Wed 05-Aug-15 06:39:17

Turns out that the misunderstanding was because my new partner won't be added to the deeds or mortgage.

I don't have a new partner.

hesterton Wed 05-Aug-15 07:20:06

God she sounds useless. Is there a complaints procedure?

Heidi122 Wed 05-Aug-15 07:24:52

I am a lawyer (in Australia) and to me it sounds like your solicitor is a junior and not being properly supervised. My advice is to write a nice email to the partner of the firm voicing your concerns and ask whether the advice she is giving you is checked by the partner. More often than not the partner will have a word with the solicitor and get her to lift her game. Alternatively you can ask for the partner or a more senior lawyer to take over carriage of your matter (but this is likely to be a more expensive option).

Myturnnow4 Thu 06-Aug-15 09:56:27

I could cry.

The solicitors never asked me for exDP's new address and have sent the papers to my address. I've tried to get some clarity on broadly what happens after he has signed, as I'm just clueless and really starting to lack faith in this process. I asked, "is it a case of you writing to me to confirm and me settling the bill?" The reply was basically "we'll tell you what happens after the transfer has been signed, after the transfer has been signed". I explained that seeing it apparently wasn't just a case of a confirmation letter and paying the bill, I'd be more reassured to have a broad outline now.

Here's part of the reply, The process will progress and as it progresses you get updates. Once I have a signed transfer I will be in tocuh regarding the registrtion as per my previosu email.

sleeponeday Thu 06-Aug-15 18:27:55

If she refuses to explain the process to you, and only offers updates, how are you supposed to form any idea of how much it would cost? And why is she so resistant to giving a brief outline of what happens? That makes no sense.

Did she provide an estimate? If so, are you being updated on how closely within it you remain - have you asked?

sleeponeday Thu 06-Aug-15 18:28:42

This link may be useful.

Myturnnow4 Thu 06-Aug-15 18:38:02

I have an estimate from the original solicitor (a partner) that I spoke to before he passed my case on to her. I am not being updated. Every time I ask for an update I get that kind of response which leads to me asking again. She went on to say that they keep their costs down but it will rise if I keep sending emails and asking for information etc. I'm going to just leave it now. I just want it over.

Myturnnow4 Thu 06-Aug-15 18:39:04

I know that the first thing I'd have to do is raise my concerns with them and I just can't face doing that.

I'm just struggling a bit with this new life that's been forced on to me sad

Boosiehs Thu 06-Aug-15 18:41:24

Hi

You should have been given a client care letter when you started with this firm. It will have details of who the partner in charge of complaints is, and how to contact them.

I hate solicitors like this, they give the rest of us a bad name!

Good luck OP. It can be very frustrating when you don't know what is going on.

As an aside, who doesn't use auto spellcheck in emails?!?!

Myturnnow4 Thu 06-Aug-15 18:58:50

I've found a name in the complaints section of the client care letter. What do you think about this plan: email the named person asking for a copy of the complaints procedure (apparently available on request) and whether it would be possible to have a "quick and informal" chat on the phone about my case?

Or should I say, "the handling of my case"?

Or not ask for any informal phone call?

RedDaisyRed Fri 07-Aug-15 17:04:41

Sounds useless. That is why we need much much stricter entry criteria to law, not dumbing down to let people who aren't very bright and are not well educated in!

Myturnnow4 Fri 07-Aug-15 18:07:18

I googled her yesterday out of curiosity because she's the only one with a photo. Turned out that she's been practising for decades and won a prize with one of the national papers. All very odd.

Any thoughts on my email mentioned earlier?

RedDaisyRed Fri 07-Aug-15 18:10:15

I suspect you'll get further not complaining but some how getting it progressed. You can always correct her typos yourself just to get it done. Not ideal of course.

You want to get " ex-partner off the mortgage and deeds and to clarify that he have no future interest in my house etc"
So has he left? Also is he a 50% owner and has he agreed to come off the deeds and if so is that for a payment? Will the mortgage lender agree to only you being on the mortgage?

Myturnnow4 Fri 07-Aug-15 18:32:52

Yes to all of those questions apart from there's no payment.

Trickytricky Fri 07-Aug-15 18:49:07

Can I just check OP - exDP has agreed to transfer his share of the property to you for no money at all? Presumably he's been paying mortgage and contributed to initial deposit? Do you and exDP hold the property as Tenants in Common or Joint Tenants?

I would call the partner who initially gave you the quote and mention that you don't have much confidence in the solicitor handling your matter (giving reasons). I'd also point out that she won't advise on the procedure and her emails contain typos and unclear english.

Myturnnow4 Fri 07-Aug-15 19:05:08

I'll PM to explain.

Myturnnow4 Fri 07-Aug-15 19:07:44

Ah, I'll just answer here. Yes, he's handing it all over to me. I'll go with your suggestion, I don't want scalps, I just want this over as quickly as possible.

RedDaisyRed Fri 07-Aug-15 20:33:39

So why would an ex partner who owns half a property want for no reward to make a gift of their half of the property? Is it because there is no equity in it and just a big debt?

Myturnnow4 Fri 07-Aug-15 20:42:54

I do not understand his reasons.

RedDaisyRed Fri 07-Aug-15 22:10:09

Anyway if he agrees then yes it just needs your solicitor to do the transfer, clear whatever requirements the mortgage company has on the remortgage and have a binding deed signed up by your ex to say they make no claim on the property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now