Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Neighbour's Ivy Pushing Over My Fencing

(7 Posts)
Mitzi50 Thu 30-Jul-15 11:52:50

My garden backs onto a school. They have tennis court fencing on their boundary and previous owners of my house have put up wooden fencing to screen out the school playground. The wooden fencing is now being pushed over ivy on the school side and by the weight of thick ivy branches along the top.

I have asked them to cut back the ivy on their side for the last 2 years which they have to a degree but the fence will now need to be replaced. Would it be reasonable to ask the school to contribute towards the replacement costs?

cansu Sat 01-Aug-15 16:06:47

Fences do get damaged and do fall over in time. Given that this is your fence it is probably down to you. The fence behind it is the schools responsibility surely.

chamerion Sat 01-Aug-15 16:08:30

If you took your fence down, wouldn't you now be screened by the ivy?

Collaborate Sun 02-Aug-15 17:10:20

If it's your fence and their ivy, and you can prove the ivy caused the fence to collapse, you can claim the cost of repair.

FannyFifer Sun 02-Aug-15 17:15:20

Weed killer on the Ivy.

Mitzi50 Sun 02-Aug-15 17:20:27

Thanks. I have put weed killer on the ivy I can reach but most of it is on the school side. I will message the school and ask if they have any suggestions for resolving the problem.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 02-Aug-15 17:48:58

They don't have to trim anything on their side.

You can trim anything on that overhangs the boundary as long as you give them back the trimmings.

If they own the boundary, the previous owners were a bit daft putting up an extra fence on your side as it obviously prevented any maintenance of the ivy as it grew over the boundary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now