Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Advice needed re contact

(11 Posts)
mrsbun81 Tue 28-Jul-15 11:34:21

Ok...this is a weird one so I'm keen to hear people's thoughts. I had a really bad relationship and a messy breakup with my ex about 18 months ago but we've managed to keep his contact with our 2 year old son consistent and they have a good relationship and a strong bond. The difficulty is my ex now lives with his mother who was born and brought up in West Africa and they both believe in 'witchcraft' and they have accused my mother, her sisters and me of being witches. Until recently, I laughed it off but this weekend, in front of our son, he called me 'evil', said my house stinks of ungodliness and said that I have, he can tell, put 'something' into our son and that he needs to help him.
I felt quite terrified about what he was implying, that DS has something evil in him, and subsequently told him he couldn't see DS again. I sought advise from the police, who were really concerned and told me not to let him see him again, but I don't think that legally I'm entitled to make that decision.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/similar experiences to share?

Penfold007 Tue 28-Jul-15 11:40:00

Some West Africans do believe very strongly in witchcraft and this belief can have catastrophic consequences. If the police have suggested stopping access it's with good reason.
Stop access and speak to Child Services, it may mean court ordered access via a contact centre.
If the family think your a witch then yes they will think it affects the child.

GarminGirl Tue 28-Jul-15 11:52:54

Tell him he needs to apply to court for a contact order to see your ds. In the meantime, no contact

If he kicks off, get a restraining order! I feel for you

horsewalksintoabar Tue 28-Jul-15 11:55:26

Echoing the thoughts of others: you need a court order ABSOLUTELY and you need the support of child services. Push for contact in a contact centre.

MaryMOORE Thu 30-Jul-15 11:15:18

It's his culture and it's kinda racist to cut contact due to his racial culture

Damnautocorrect Thu 30-Jul-15 11:22:20

Mary, it's his culture?! Are you shitting me? So Victoria climbie, we should have let her abusers go as its 'their culture' and racist to put them in prison?

bloodyteenagers Thu 30-Jul-15 11:27:01

Well we live in a society that condones abuse.

bloodyteenagers Thu 30-Jul-15 11:28:45

Condemns - really hate autocorrect

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-15 11:29:23

It's his culture and it's kinda racist to cut contact due to his racial culture

shock

There have been enough cases of children/young people dying when relatives try to drive out the demons. Should they be left alone because it is their culture?!

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-15 11:31:11

FGM is "their culture" too. Do you think that's OK?

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-15 11:31:55

Ah.. MaryMOORE is a first time poster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now