Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Juvenile offences on DBS

(5 Posts)
MumoftheBoyandtheGirl Sun 26-Jul-15 07:30:09

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could get juvenile offences removed from your record? When I was 15 I was bullied into admitting offences that I didn't commit which are now on my record. I'm a teacher (and 34) and where it hasn't really been an issue in any school I've worked in, I am worried that it may hinder me in other ways. I would like to go to America and worry that I wouldn't be able to with these offences on my record. I would appreciate any advice that anyone would have for me on this TIA.

prh47bridge Sun 26-Jul-15 08:44:44

In terms of DBS checks information is filtered automatically. If you are under 18 at the time of receiving a caution it is removed from your DBS check after 2 years. If you are under 18 at the time of receiving a conviction it is removed from you DBS check after 5.5 years provided you did not receive a custodial sentence. However, some offences will never be filtered. The list of offences that remain on your record permanently can be found here.

If your offence is not on the list linked to above it will not appear on your DBS check. You don't need to do anything to have it removed.

MumoftheBoyandtheGirl Sun 26-Jul-15 11:36:35

Thank you for that. I've had a look on there and mine aren't on the list. Are they coming up because it's an enhanced DBS? Do you know if I'd be ok to travel to America? TIA

prh47bridge Sun 26-Jul-15 15:27:04

They should not appear on any DBS check obtained since filtering was introduced on 29th May 2013. If they are still appearing you should complain.

Whether or not they appear on a DBS check is irrelevant as far as the US is concerned. The still want to know about it. Depending on the nature of the conviction it may not be a problem at all but it will probably mean you have to apply for a visa and you may not be allowed to enter the US. You will need to consult the US Embassy.

NewOrleansGirl Tue 28-Jul-15 19:39:36

Consult with embassy. Convictions don't automatically mean you cannot enter the USA. I am a lawyer and have clients with convictions who are British but regularly enter the USA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now