Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Requesting papers from my fathers lawyer

(3 Posts)
NotSoSpecial Sat 25-Jul-15 14:29:17

I have POA for both Financial and Health & Welfare matters for my father. He no longer has capacity, conformed by his GP.

I want to see legal documentation relating to changing his will and some other decisions made while he was losing capacity.

I can't find the documentation in his papers (I believe another relative has this), so my question is, if I ask for full documentation from the solicitor, is he obliged to comply with this request?

Thank you!

NotSoSpecial Mon 27-Jul-15 20:14:54


SmokeFree Tue 28-Jul-15 08:34:57

The short answer is no. The Will belongs to your father.

You can only request to see the Will if you have a good reason for it and even then it involves a long process and application to the Court of Protection. An example would be that you wanted to ensure you would not be adversely affecting someone's benefit under the will by selling an asset which was specifically left to someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now