Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can an applicant stop court process in family law.

(5 Posts)
thegirlwiththebrokensmile Fri 24-Jul-15 15:01:58

Please help, we've been completely misadvised and ripped off in our ongoing legal proceedings. We are fully aware we won't win and the amount of hearings just keeps escalating. We can't afford to continue and the whole thing has turned into a farce. We want to stop our application now and accept what the other party is saying. There comes a point when you know you've done your best. We are dooming ourselves to years in debt for nothing.
It's quite far along. Cafcass report expected to be completed in 1-2 weeks and more hearings scheduled for August. We just can not continue any longer. We are being taken advantage of by our solicitor who through her own mistakes is costing us more money. Please help me!

LoveMyBoots Sat 25-Jul-15 05:46:12

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's pretty bad that your solicitor is costing you money because of their own mistake.

I'm not a legal expert but the Law Society has a section on its website entitled For The Public and in the FAQs there is a section about making a complaint to a solicitor.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

MooseBeTimeForSummer Sat 25-Jul-15 06:02:12

Yes of course you can.

PeruvianFoodLover Sat 25-Jul-15 06:31:13

I don't think you can. You can ask the judge for permission to withdraw the application - but in family matters, once the application has been made, the court has a responsibility to ensure the welfare of the DCs.

Bellemere Sat 25-Jul-15 08:29:55

My understand is the same as Peruvian. You don't need a solicitor, you can self represent. What are you trying to "win" and why do you think it won't happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now