Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Company re-invoicing after payment made as they have made an error

(8 Posts)
Piercy Thu 23-Jul-15 22:09:07

Hello

Don't know if anyone can advise if this is legal or not. Our sons nursery changed the way they did the invoicing, when they re-calculated the payment I advised them twice in writing that it was incorrect I also told various members of staff it was incorrect, it wasn't enough.

After 3 months of not paying and trying to get it corrected, and getting an email saying no their calculations were correct I gave up and paid the new amount.

We have now pulled our son out of nursery and they have realised their error and are trying to back date the payments - are they able to do this?

many thanks

P

Collaborate Thu 23-Jul-15 22:56:19

So, they admit they should have charged you less, and have now issued the correct invoice. You, however, have already paid at the incorrect higher rate. Presumably they owe you a partial refund.

I don't understand what the issue is.

FishWithABicycle Thu 23-Jul-15 23:03:05

Did you overpay or underpay?

Piercy Fri 24-Jul-15 08:44:10

I underpaid as per their instructions - we told them the invoice was incorrect but they refused to believe us and in writing told me the invoice was correct. They have now realised this mistake and are trying to claim back the monies by invoicing us for it?!

WeAreEternal Fri 24-Jul-15 09:19:43

Presumably you signed a contract when your DS started at the nursery that said you agreed to pay £X per day/session?
I think that will supersede the invoices or their dodgy maths and any emails, especially when you repeatedly tried to tell them it was wrong.

I think the only course of action is just to pay the money that you owe and leave it at that.

FishWithABicycle Fri 24-Jul-15 13:19:46

How much money is at stake here?
And is there a reason why you have switched from being hyper-honest and querying being undercharged (for which much applause) to trying to get out of paying what you were previously willing and indeed eager to pay?

We had all sorts of billing issues with our nursery - I don't think it's at all uncommon for nursery employees to be not that great at maths.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 24-Jul-15 13:22:08

Well you were happy to pay the correct amount before when you pointed at the mistake - What's changed now?

Floggingmolly Fri 24-Jul-15 13:25:27

You've spent three months desperate to pay what you knew was the correct charge. When they finally issue the correct invoice you appear to be trying to avoid paying...
Just pay it confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now