Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

My liabilities to partner's debt

(3 Posts)
CookieDoughKid Mon 13-Jul-15 21:08:06

Partner and I have been together for 10years. We keep all our finances separate. Recently, partner has been the sole breadwinner to allow me to spend more time at home with our children. He pays for mortgage bills etc but everything is in my name and always has been.

He has major debt which is being monitored. He isn't in any hurry to pay it off - he just isn't that way inclined but it's better than what it was 10years ago.

We'd like to get married out of principal really.

If we did get married, and the worse comes to worst - could the debtors in any way register a restriction on my house and view any beneficial interest because my hubby has been paying the mortgage?/

I want to protect my assests as much as possible. He is not on my deeds and we have nothing in joint names.

Thanks for reading.

Collaborate Mon 13-Jul-15 21:59:50

Provided you both understand he doesn't have an interest in the house, his mortgage payments are buying him nothing. It should be safe from creditors.

If however you lead him to believe that paying the mortgage would gain him an interest in the house, he may acquire an equitable interest.

CookieDoughKid Tue 14-Jul-15 12:30:56

Thank you Collaborate. Really appreciate your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now