Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Childs name published

(79 Posts)
Jenscotland1974 Tue 07-Jul-15 10:47:03

My daughters full name has been printed on numerous garments, also with her school details. I was not asked for permission. Can I do anything?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 07-Jul-15 10:52:04

Garments? confused

BertPuttocks Tue 07-Jul-15 10:56:00

Is it one of those Yr6 leavers' hoodies/t-shirts with everyone's name on?

Jedi1 Tue 07-Jul-15 10:59:01

If it's a leavers hoodie / top I can't see the problem unless it's a safeguarding issue?

SerialBox Tue 07-Jul-15 10:59:02

Garments? confused

SerialBox Tue 07-Jul-15 11:00:04

Great minds Laurie grin

ClaimedByMe Tue 07-Jul-15 11:06:20

Surely if it was a leavers hoodie she would have known about it as she would have had to fill in a slip to confirm size and fork out for it i did for dd

All three of mine have the Leavers hoodies from their last year at school - and I think they are a great memento. Of all the end-of-school traditions (Prom, muck up day, getting shirts signed), this is the one I think is a really positive thing.

I plan to get a photo of all three of my dses in their hoodies, front and back view.

Sadly the lad who proof read all the names for ds3's hoodie has dyslexia, and no-one helped him check, so ds3's surname is spelt wrong (in the list, not the big name), as are other children's names, and some are missing altogether - which has taken a bit of the shine off it for his year.

If it is a Leavers' hoodie, Jenscotland - why are you upset about it? It isn't a risk for anyone to know what school your dd used to attend, and having her name on the sweatshirt doesn't seem like a big risk - assuming that she is 18, and knows not to go with a stranger just because they know her name.

Jenscotland1974 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:15:09

Yes, it is a leavers hoodie. From primary school...she is 11 yrs old. Arranged by another mother, not the school. No permission asked before having them made.

queenofthepirates Tue 07-Jul-15 11:17:01

Is it a safeguarding issue or are just just upset about not being consulted?

ClaimedByMe Tue 07-Jul-15 11:20:18

Our parent council sorted ours and we had to pay half the cost.

Sometimes when I see threads like this I think it wouldnt occur to me to be annoyed by something like this...does that make me a bad parent?

Jenscotland1974 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:42:17

There is a safeguard issue, yes, and this was not endorsed in any way by the school.
It is not a matter of it making you or I a bad parent ClaimedByMe, it is a matter of my childs confidential details being made public, without my consent.

SerialBox Tue 07-Jul-15 12:12:17

I can't see how it's a safeguarding issue. Nobody apart from parents will really look at them and those parents presumably know your daughter and her name.

Sorry if I'm completely missing the point. I just don't understand.

TinyManticore Tue 07-Jul-15 12:13:23

If it's her old school, does it matter?

RagingJellyBean Tue 07-Jul-15 12:15:16

Confidential details... It's her name... Her full name... That she probably tells people if they ask? Because that's what normal people do ��

RainbowFlutterby Tue 07-Jul-15 12:17:27

Can anybody actually read all the names on those hoodies without standing really close?

You'd kind of have to know that the name should be there to spot it.

I don't think there's anything you can do without coming across as a loon.

Toughasoldboots Tue 07-Jul-15 12:18:23

It's her name- I don't understand either. Not a resume of her medical records.

CardinalRed Tue 07-Jul-15 12:18:24

Her full name is a matter of public record by virtue of her birth being registered, and is accessible to anyone.

Ratbagcatbag Tue 07-Jul-15 12:20:25

I have to say it seems a small thing to get emotional about, if it was her name with a picture then maybe I could get a bit annoyed.

I used to be involved with an athletics team and helped choose the squad that represented the county, we had T Shirts made which had all the kids full names on the back as a momento of being selected. I had to be very careful regarding safeguarding issues, but with this we all just went ahead and ordered them without consulting anyone. It's just their name.

downgraded Tue 07-Jul-15 12:20:43

Is there a problem with someone knowing what school she attends?

Is her safety compromised if this person knows where she is?

QueenCardigan Tue 07-Jul-15 12:23:18

It is a safeguarding issue. If for any reason that child needs protection from someone (ie adoptive or abusive parent) then I can understand why their name and school details shouldn't be published as they can easily be tracked down. It's why you are not allowed to publish other children's details or pictures from school performances etc on social media.

CardinalRed Tue 07-Jul-15 13:31:11

If it is a leavers hoody and she's in Scotland, then she is no longer at the school, because the session is over.

QuiteLikely5 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:36:32

The school giving her a gift with her name on is not surely something that has caused you problems?

QuiteLikely5 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:39:03

A child's name is not necessarily confidential though is it?

If your child has safeguarding issues, she knows that right?

Did the school tell her to wear it outside?

Surely since you are so hot on these things she folded it away and took it home to wear indoors??

Her name is not confidential information, surely? confused. And as she has now left the school, there is no risk to her from anyone knowing the school she used to attend, is there?

Frankly, there would be more risk in a child wearing logo-ed school uniform for the school they currently attend, wouldn't there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now