Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Conflict of interest? Divorce lawyer approached

(5 Posts)
nearlyhadenough Thu 02-Jul-15 18:48:58

I finally plucked up the courage to phone a firm of solicitors today and try to make an appointment.

I rang the firm that did our conveyancing about 15 years ago, as I trust them and they are a large company with many specialities.

They were unable to see me without written permission from my husband because of a possible conflict of interest - due to the conveyancing.

Why? It was 15years ago..... or is there likely to be more to this?

Optimist1 Thu 02-Jul-15 19:00:53

As a poster said on your other thread, there would be a conflict of interest only if the solicitors were currently acting for your husband. The fact that they did a conveyancing job for you both in the past would not represent any conflict.

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 02-Jul-15 19:03:18

Yep, it's not a conflict unless they are a current client.

Conveyancing in the past wouldn't make a difference now.

Rifugio Thu 02-Jul-15 19:03:24

How odd! there was an exact thread like this a yr or two ago. The conflict was that the solicitors WERE representing the ex.

Thistledew Thu 02-Jul-15 19:06:50

Just to add to what I said on your other thread- if the solicitors are acting for your husband already, they would not be able to tell you so without his permission so would have to make up some other excuse.

I have never known a solicitors firm to turn down repeat business unless they really have to (unless you were a complete nightmare to work with previously).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now