Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Lawyer advice for property and divorce

(8 Posts)
Poptart01 Thu 25-Jun-15 20:07:38

Hi I'm 8 months pregnant and my husband has left me a week ago because he has fallen out of love with me. He has met someone who he likes and has admitted to an emotional affair. However very adamant they have not had an affair, despite him being out an extraordinary amount over the last 2 months and distancing himself from me in everyway. He now wants a divorce and to sell our house and split the assets. This would me I would move into a flat with our baby so that he could take his money out of the property. I want to stay in the house until our child is 18 so I'm looking for a great lawyer to help me with this and also to hear if anyone has had a similar battle and how they won/lost. Thanks

LotusLight Thu 25-Jun-15 21:03:08

Is this your first child and are you still working full time?

Poptart01 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:18:11

Hi yes this is my first child and I'm on mat leave early due to the stress

Collaborate Thu 25-Jun-15 23:12:42

If you can say where in the country you are, you'll get people recommending someone local to you. Otherwise look on the Resolution website for details of a solicitor near you.

babybarrister Fri 26-Jun-15 11:35:50

yes give us some idea of where - I assume there has bee no domestic violence and so you are not eligible for legal aid?

worridmum Fri 26-Jun-15 17:25:17

I do not think it is likely get a mesher order in your situation to be honesrt since a baby is highly mobile so will not need to keep a established pattern (aka their bedroom they have had for years etc)

but I admit its highly dependant on the judge you get for your case as they might rule for a mesher order but if that happens he is likely to get a much larger % of the house then normally (aka much more likely to get 50% of the equaity)

I am not saying its a forgone conclusion just be prepared to not get the ruling you want.

And do follow collaborate advice and or PM me if you live in or near to the east midlands area as I can give you recomendations.

Congratulations on your baby and good luck

Poptart01 Sat 27-Jun-15 09:04:36

Thank you for the advice, it is very helpful. I think i will need a new plan as the above doesnt sound like i will be any better off in the end

Collaborate Sat 27-Jun-15 09:17:46

OP - Don't base any of your decisions based on worridmum's advice: I do not think it is likely get a mesher order in your situation to be honesrt since a baby is highly mobile so will not need to keep a established pattern (aka their bedroom they have had for years etc)

It's dangerous indeed to try and give what might be well intentioned but ultimately erroneous advice, as this is. It's akin to me telling you I have a headache and you telling me I need brain surgery.

Whether a mesher order is appropriate depends on a whole host of factors, none of which we know about.

No one can say, based on your OP, what you might achieve. No one but you knows the values of assets involved, or your particular needs as a family, or the contributions you have both made. I'm not suggesting you post all of that on here. The proper place to divulge that is in a solicitor's office, as worridmum, babybarrister and I suggest.

I'm just worried that, from your last post, you seem to have reached a decision, which is something you shouldn't do based on this thread to date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now