Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

moving while under child protection plan?urgent

(16 Posts)
smalltownmoving Sat 20-Jun-15 21:17:32

we are thinking of moving back home but we are on a child protection plan. we would inform the new borough social services immediately. one of the complaints is we have no support which we would have as soon as we went back.
do we have to tell our sw? and more importantly can move or can they stop us moving?
we're seeing a solicitor on Monday but anyone who can advice before this I'd be very grateful.

GRW Sun 21-Jun-15 07:36:29

I think it would be best to tell the social worker. If you just disappeared without telling anyone it might raise concerns that you were moving to avoid having sw involvement. As far as I am aware I don't think they can prevent you from going, and should support it if it means you have more support around you. They would refer you to social services in the new area.

smalltownmoving Sun 21-Jun-15 08:41:08

the problem is the social worker. we have asked to change and have been told know others have complained about him . still no.

SunnyBaudelaire Sun 21-Jun-15 08:48:47

no of course they cannot stop you from moving - just keep everyone informed of what you are doing.
What is the problem with the SW? Is he misinforming you?

SunnyBaudelaire Sun 21-Jun-15 08:49:58

oh he said 'no'?
It is not in his power to stop you from moving.
Keep his senior informed then.

lostdad Sun 21-Jun-15 09:16:53

Child Protection Services have no power to stop you moving. If they want to do this, take children off you, etc. they have to apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order, Emergency Care Order, etc.

Only the court can tell you to do that.

That said, be careful. As a general rule (and this doesn't apply to you) I would advice not to involve Social Services. Public law makes private law look like a walk in the park.

SunnyBaudelaire Sun 21-Jun-15 09:19:44

yes be very careful, do nothing without informing them first

SunnyBaudelaire Sun 21-Jun-15 09:26:21

in fact even pre empt them, email SS of the place you are moving to, make sure you do it in advance.

smalltownmoving Sun 21-Jun-15 09:48:14

we are thinking of sending both them and new borough an email and letter. will that not cover it?

floatyjosmum Sun 21-Jun-15 21:23:36

As the children are km Cp plans there will need to be another case conference in the new area.
Sw can't stop you moving so you may as well tell them and give a date and new address etc so that there is a smooth handover.
Cp visits have to continue even if you move la

SunnyBaudelaire Sun 21-Jun-15 21:33:18

yes smalltown that should be OK but make sure you get the timing right so that you cannot be accused of trying to disappear or anything.
Did the SW actually tell you that you couldnt move>?

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 21-Jun-15 21:36:12

I think you need to inform the sw prior to moving. Your circumstances are probably different to my friends but the sw had to view the property first to make sure it was adequate and friend wasn't lying about where they'd be living

smalltownmoving Mon 22-Jun-15 08:15:15

hi it will be v difficult for sw to view property as other end of the country. happy for new local sw to view.

and yes sw said we couldn't move. we wanted last year to move to next borough where they go to school.

averythinline Mon 22-Jun-15 08:24:20

I don't think an email/letter is sufficient - who are you going to email in the new place?
If you are working through a cp plan I would suggest asking for a case conference/Team around the child meeting (whatever they call it in your area) and discuss it openly -
make it a managed move - trying to do in a rush or unplanned will not help esp if you are moving school age children - they may be able to help with school admissions/local support.

otherwise it may look like you are trying to disappear esp as you were trying to move before to a different place....your local sw wont inspect the property necessarily but should work with the sw team where you are moving too as normally the cp plan moves with you...

smalltownmoving Mon 22-Jun-15 08:40:16

the cp plan in new place not a problem. spoken to local education department and have already got school lined up for sept. we wanted to move before so closer to current school but now just want to go home.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 22-Jun-15 08:46:34

I think averythinline has given the best advice here tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now