Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Understanding the Education Act (Scotland) re Transport

(8 Posts)
Turquoisetortoise Fri 19-Jun-15 22:10:27

Hi,

I am looking for a little advise as I am currently in dispute with my local authority regarding school transport issues. I have had a look at the Education Act (1980) but find it VERY difficult to understand! Also I noticed it stated that there were changes which had not yet been implemented.

Long story short, it seems to say in the Education Act I read, that if the authority run a free school bus service for qualifying children then MUST offer any additional spaces on the bus to non-qualifying children free of charge.

Before I steam in telling them they are in the wrong, can anyone advise if I am understanding the Act correctly or if this part of the Act had now been amended to allow charging a fee? Or how I would find this out?

Thanks so much.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Fri 19-Jun-15 22:15:32

Sorry I'm just 'tagging' on as I'd be interested in the answer to this - I'll be dealing with this in 2 years so it would good to know.

prh47bridge Fri 19-Jun-15 23:47:52

I'm afraid your LA is right.

The original Act limited it to pupils "selected by the authority", so if there are only 2 spare places the LA chooses which 2 pupils get them.

The Local Government in Scotland Act 2003 modified the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 to allow local authorities to charge pupils using spare places if they wish provided the charge does not cause undue hardship.

Turquoisetortoise Sat 20-Jun-15 08:37:34

thanks for your reply. yes I found the bit about the LA choosing who could get the places, and their selection criteria for making this choice, which is pretty favourable to us and it is likely we would be offered a place. I was just pretty shocked when they told me the cost of the place. I would be better of just driving him to school myself but to me that seems wrong putting more cars on the road and adding to the terrible (and unsafe) congestion and parking problems near the school. especially when the school bus is such

Turquoisetortoise Sat 20-Jun-15 08:43:15

when the bus stops a few metres from our door to collect others (for free).

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 20-Jun-15 09:37:09

Turquoise do you mind me asking how much the place was quoted to you as? I'm in the position of possibly facing similar arguments in 2 yrs & it would be a lot easier if DD could get same bus as others but due to our circumstances it's likely they'll either say no or charge us. Fine if you'd rather not say.smile

Turquoisetortoise Sat 20-Jun-15 20:22:18

TensionWheels I have set you a message about the costs (I think! I have never tried to message another poster before so not 100% sure it worked.)

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 20-Jun-15 20:56:50

Thanks, got it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now