Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

DWP errors - PIP cancelled when DF terminally ill. Any solicitor recommendations?

(7 Posts)
Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 17-Jun-15 17:58:10

Hi - I started another thread yesterday but in AIBU. The DWP have well and truly messed up my DF's PIPs and have ended up cancelling them for no good reason. Various admin errors have resulted in this and any conversations I've had with them have led to 'we are unable to comment', basically because they don't know why! I have POA and called on behalf of DF, who is paralysed and incontinent and has weeks left to live.

I am absolutely livid and want to throw the book at them. They have failed against their own criteria, which is to pay PIP without fuss to those deemed as having fewer than six months left. We've had a hotch potch of correspondence, with varying degrees of what he's entitled to listed, and then the latest, the notice that they're cancelling one element of his PIP as he now lives in a nursing home. This element isn't even means tested so there is no basis at all for the cancellation!

So - I need a solicitor's letter to demand the immediate reinstatement of the PIP, as well as an apology for the distress caused to my father/family as a result of their errors. I'd love a recommendation of anyone who specializes in this field, or vulnerable adult care. TIA.

SecretSpy Wed 17-Jun-15 18:13:43

Not seen the other thread but have you tried his MP? A letter from a solicitor doesn't necessarily carry any weight.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 17-Jun-15 19:09:36

Thanks - yes, I've emailed the MP for his home address and then the one for his care home (just over the boundary in another constituency). We'll see what happens!

Oblique27 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:15:45

How about the minister for the disabled Justin Tomlinson and Ian Duncan Smith - responsible for the shambles

Rainicorn Wed 17-Jun-15 19:19:05

So sorry to hear about your DF flowers

Is it the care part of PIP they've cancelled? If so, they do cancel it if the claimant has moved into residential care.

Rainicorn Wed 17-Jun-15 19:19:39

Sorry, pressed send early. They don't as such cancel it,mint goes directly to the care home.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 17-Jun-15 23:31:15

They've cancelled the mobility element, which isn't means tested and is an outright entitlement because of his situation. The care home is funded entirely separately (NHS continuing care - another battle that had to be fought but we won). Every step of the process with DF's illness has been fighting through a heap of bureaucracy, people shirking their responsibilities and being downright dishonest. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about this latest fiasco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now