Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child maintenance and job loss

(4 Posts)
breadstixandhommus Tue 16-Jun-15 20:26:50

On Friday my DP received a letter from the owner of the company that he works for, informing him that they had lost a big contract and that he has the option to TUPE over to the company that has withdrawn from the contract. The problem with this is that the other company looks very much like they will be losing their contract within the next 6 months.....still with me? Sorry, it may be confusing!

Before this letter was given (to all of the staff, not just my DP) he did a job with the owner of the company he works for and they had quite a bit of a chat. My DP was basically asked to stick with them, they are going through a tough time at the moment, but there is lots of work planned over the summer months. My DP felt that this was the best option as he very much enjoys his job. He came away from that chat feeling ok about things (but he hadn't had the letter yet!).

Now, to the point.....he informed his boss of his desire to stay and has turned down the TUPE on the basis that he will be jobless in 6 months time. He was then informed that this means, with effect from 1st July, his contract will be null and void and he will be on a zero hour contract. How does this work for his maintenance payments? At the moment he is contracted to 40 hours per week and has just increased his payments to £120 per month as he has been doing overtime and asked for a recalculation based on that.

How do they calculate payments when you don't have a guaranteed income? The stress this has caused is unimaginable!

breadstixandhommus Wed 17-Jun-15 08:39:31

Anyone?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 17-Jun-15 08:44:11

If the percentage he is supposed to pay is X, can't he just calculate that at the end of the month and pay his ex that?

And obviously let her know the amount may be slightly variable every month?

Collaborate Wed 17-Jun-15 10:17:53

One option is for him to think realistically how much he will earn in the first year and pay an average of that over the year. At the end of the year there's a balancing payment to be made either way when the actual figures are known. Payments throughout the year would therefore be made on account of the final actual liability.

This would require agreement from them both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now