Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Issues With Title

(7 Posts)
TheChandler Thu 04-Jun-15 09:04:17

Am buying a property which has a part possessory title. Can anyone clarify who usually pays for an insurance policy in connection with this, the buyer or the seller? Surely it is the seller's duty to provide a good title?

The seller seems to be getting irritated with our questions regarding the title and is not willing to provide an insurance policy.

NiceAcorns Thu 04-Jun-15 23:21:36

Usually the seller pays, but you can't force than to.

Are you buying with a mortgage? If so, your lender will probably insist on there being a policy, so if the seller won't pay you will have to

LotusLight Fri 05-Jun-15 07:49:40

I think it's just for negotiation. In fact I didn't think we had many possessory titles in the UK.

Spickle Fri 05-Jun-15 09:54:11

We bought a house with possessory title. The seller paid for the policy. However, as NiceAcorns says, if you are getting a mortgage your lender will insist on a policy being put in place so you may have pay if your seller point blank refuses to.

NiceAcorns Fri 05-Jun-15 20:14:30

There aren't many possessory titles; when they occur it's usually part of the garden. Is that what yours is?

TheChandler Fri 05-Jun-15 22:02:46

Yes, that's right NiceAcorns. Its part of the garden but there is additionally another area of land, over which the property has its only right of access from the main road, which is has no registered owner. We're paying full price for it (with a mortgage). I cannot understand why the seller is refusing to pay for the insurance policy. Surely it is their duty as seller to provide a good title?

I don't mind coming and going a bit and its not a big deal, but I'm a bit surprised. Its all a bit off-putting. Imagine if there were a dispute at a later date to title e.g. by a neighbour, which prevented vehicular access to the property.

NiceAcorns Sat 06-Jun-15 09:01:28

Sounds like you might need Absence of Easement insurance too - might not need it, but ask your solicitors

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: