Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlords responsibility to fix washing machine valve?

(8 Posts)
Souperdeedouper Sat 23-May-15 13:55:30

Hello,

We moved into our property a month ago and there have been several things wrong, which we have had to chase the estate agents for (property is solely managed by them so any requests for repairs etc have to go via them.)

The hot feed valve (the pipe on the wall which feeds water to a washing machine when one is fitted) works. However, the cold one is broken: we have asked several times for it to be fixed but have been told that if we want a washing machine, we must supply one, and fix any relevant pipes ourselves. We have also been told that it is not the landlords responsibility, nor will he give any permissions to the estate agents to send a contractor to look at/ fix the cold feed tap.

Surely it is the landlords reaponsibility to fix this, as in our contract it states that he is reaponsibe for water supply to the property. I assume this means in all its forms? Or am I completely wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nannynick Sat 23-May-15 14:13:45

Don't know the legal on this one but it might be useful if you said who supplied the washing machine, you or did it come with the property (thus landlord)?

nannynick Sat 23-May-15 14:35:34

Sorry did not read properly, you don't have washing machine yet.

Under s11 landlord it looks to me that they not liable for the fitting itself (so the bit the pipe connects to) but are for the supply of water itself to the nearest basin/bath.

Not a lawyer, so hope someone may be able to give a better answer.

Souperdeedouper Sat 23-May-15 15:04:11

Thank you for your reply. We do currently have a washing machine, however it's unuseable due to it needing both the cold and hot water feeds to be working. Several people have said that the attatchment on the end looks more like a radiator piece, which has been put there for who knows what reason, and that we would need to saw of the entire thing in order to attatch a correctly working valve.

It's extremely frustrating that he is taking no responsibility for this.

differentnameforthis Sat 23-May-15 16:38:35

Who owns the washing machine? Was it in the house when you moved in, or did you buy it?

Souperdeedouper Sat 23-May-15 18:02:17

We own the washing machine

Spickle Sat 23-May-15 18:39:01

I'm a landlord and my view is this:

Your washing machine = your responsibility
Installing it = your responsibility
Unable to install it because the pipe to which it has to be fixed is broken (and is part of fixtures and fittings/would apply to future tenants) = landlord's responsibility.

Phone the letting agent/estate agent and insist they get someone in to fix it - totally unacceptable to not be able to install your own washing machine to the cold water pipe.

cannotseeanend Sat 23-May-15 18:54:35

Would it also matter that the pipe is described in the inventory for use with washing machine? Otherwise the landlord could actually argue it's not for the washing machine at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now