Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Damage to parked car, possibly teacher at school-Help?

(10 Posts)
muddiboots Tue 19-May-15 18:23:23

DS drove to school today with dd in car, he parked on road by school where most staff and students park. as they were exiting the car another car was parking behind them. DS and a friend think it was a certain teacher from the school, DD not sure. When DS went to come home at lunch time, other car was still there, our car has big grazed area on outside corner, car parked behind had grazed area with paint on inner front wing. Pretty obvious that she damaged both cars while parking hers. He has pictures of damage and location of both cars and reg. She had left no contact details on the car. Its quite a lot of damage, several hundreds I would imagine. Should I contact school first and see if a member of staff or shoukl I report to police tonight? If you report online, does this come under criminal damage (only category I can find), any advice appreciated.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Tue 19-May-15 20:46:18

Report it to your insurer & they'll do the rest. The photos should help confirm & the ins co can get motor engineer to inspect both cars to verify her damage is consistent with yours.

newbieman1978 Tue 19-May-15 21:37:06

As above, insurance company.
Would only be a criminal matter if it was done on purpose.... I assume there is no suggestion of that? And only "leaving the scene of an accident" if they actually know they hit your car, I reckon the offender might not have realised it happened.

I wouldn't expect to get very far with this though. The insurance company (if they are diligent) will contact the other vehicles owner (through reg no) and ask if they were involved. I expect they'll say no and I expect your picture evidence will do little to help.

You can ask the school to ask around the staff room but they are likely to not want to get too heavily involved and unlikely anyone will come forward.

Sorry but I think it's going to be difficult.

muddiboots Tue 19-May-15 23:01:27

I was trying to avoid insurance , I am pretty sure they knew what happened, it's a big scrape on both cars and you can see the red paint on her car on its scraped bit, very clearly in photo.
Have emailed the suspected teacher, very very politely just to ask if it was their car and will await reply.
To be fair, if it was a teacher, he left early, she may have expected to catch him at the car at the end of the day. Let's hope !

mousmous Tue 19-May-15 23:03:51

let insurance deal with it,
that's what you pay them for.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 19-May-15 23:09:47

I had very similar at work, knew it must be a colleague but sadly no idea which one so had to go via insurance.

Like you lots of obvious damage and I took photos. They admitted it right away. Insurance company fixed my car. I had to pay my excess up front but claimed it back off the other company.

I guess my premiums have gone up a bit which is a pita. Hopefully they will admit it but if you think it's hundreds of pounds worth of damage then it likely will have to go through insurance.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Wed 20-May-15 08:02:21

If you do an MID check on the reg, you'll get their ins details. Go to their ins & report it & they'll contact the teacher & ask/inspect their car & can inspect yours too. Alternatively, report it to the police & they'll speak to other car owner & verify the damage that is consistent with yours.

newbieman1978 Wed 20-May-15 10:01:51

Let's us know what happens.

muddiboots Wed 20-May-15 13:35:08

Thanks all, it wasn't the teacher so am going to do the MID thong. Thanks so much tensionwch, never even heard of that!

muddiboots Wed 20-May-15 13:35:35

thing even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now