Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Speeding ticket (camera) but can't have been son's car!

(11 Posts)
Coconut49 Sun 15-Feb-15 22:54:42

My 18 yr old son has received a speeding ticket for going 35mph in a 30mph limit in an area about 40 miles from us. He has never been to this area (and would have no reason to) and was actually at 6th form college the day in question. At the time of the offence he had come home for lunch and I was at home too so I know he isn't fibbing!! So the number plate must have been wrongly read or something - has this ever happened before to anyone ? I am going to phone tomorrow to explain the situation and ask what to do as the 'notice of prosecution' doesn't provide a box to tick to say that it can't be my son's car!! I am worried as he has no proof he was at home, apart from my testament. Also I have read about people cloning number plates - could this have happened ? Can I ask them to show us the photo?
Any advice much appreciated !!

AnythingNotEverything Sun 15-Feb-15 22:58:24

My husband was caught recently and the letter said they had photographic evidence. You could log in with the provided details and see yourself. Don't suppose yours has similar?

You'll have to give them a ring. If there's no number on the letter, try 111.

Lweji Sun 15-Feb-15 23:01:52

They have to have evidence, so ask for it.

In any case, your testimony should be taken into consideration. Who else would they expect to testify?

Coconut49 Sun 15-Feb-15 23:28:47

Ok thanks I will ring tomorrow, there is a number but you can't log in anywhere and view photographic evidence unfortunately.

Just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else? I thought the systems are fail safe so I am concerned about how this has happened . I read somewhere that the driver has to prove that it was not their car.

Seriouslyffs Sun 15-Feb-15 23:32:28

Double check your dates extremely carefully. If you're mistaken and he'd say lent his car to a friend that day and walked home or was playing hooky but now doesn't want to tell you you'd be opening a nasty can of worms. Definitely check the evidence first.

Seriouslyffs Sun 15-Feb-15 23:33:42

Cloning is definitely a possibility.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 15-Feb-15 23:34:00

I had this once and it definitely had a web address where you could view the photographic evidence. Are you sure it isn't a scam? Does it ask directly for money?

If he is sure he was nowhere near there, my first guess would be someone using a fake numberplate.

Does the car park at his college have CCTV? If so, perhaps he could use that to prove that the car was stationary, 40 miles from the scene of the incident.

GaryBaldy Sun 15-Feb-15 23:41:08

Friend had similar. The plates had been cloned.

Coconut49 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:47:36

I spoke to the helpline today and the number plate on their photo is exactly the same as my son's. They told me to send a letter (from my son) and a letter from me confirming his whereabouts at the time of the offence plus photos of the back of his car (his bumper is cracked on both sides as a result of two small knocks!) so they can compare to their photo. It was only just over a week ago so I know exactly what I was doing that day (as it was my day off from work) and my son was definitely at home between lessons at the time of the alleged offence, and his car outside our house.
It's definitely not a scam - I rang the Thames valley police and gave details. All legit. Gary - I think you are correct. His car must have been cloned. Going to write to the DVLA now as well. Aaagh!

Luciferbox Mon 16-Feb-15 17:50:06

Could it have been cloned? My Dad had his plates stolen and has had a speeding ticket hundreds of miles away whilst he was in work. Employers and CCTV could prove it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now