Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Advice on water damage demands from downstairs flat

(7 Posts)
Chino28 Sat 14-Feb-15 12:42:27


We have a flat and the neighbour downstairs who rents reported a small leak in the hallway. I called a plumber who identified and fixed a slow drip from our toilet within 3 days.

Now the block management company is saying the flat that causes a leak pays the excess of any water insurance damage claim from another flat ie up to £1000.
The bill they sent us is £600+VAT and involves repainting ceilings, changing a door and making good its frame. We have the option to provide alternative estimates but we dont agree on the items on the list.
We cannot believe all this damage can be caused in a few days by such a small leak and if genuine it must have happened over a long time.

The tenant downstairs must have failed to report it. How could they not notice £600+ worth of damage?

Are we liable to foot the bill in full as the management company is claiming?

Thank you

LIZS Sat 14-Feb-15 12:45:51

If it was a small leak there could have been damaged caused over time before it caused a wet patch no staining, especially to woodwork. Is the excess £600?

ggirl Sat 14-Feb-15 12:47:27

surely you just pay the excess of their insurance claim...hope its not £600

LIZS Sat 14-Feb-15 12:49:14

Unless the excess is £1000. Would you insurance not cover 3rd party damage ?

Chino28 Sat 14-Feb-15 12:58:58

The excess of the insurance is £1000. The two quotes they got are about 600+VAT which they ask us to pay in full.

This includes also the repainting of the ceilings in the hall, the airing cupboard and the bedrooom. So there was extensive wet patching across rooms.
When the tenant reported the leak, he showed us drops of water on the door and the wet patch in the ceiling in the hall. He showed us that the airing cupboard was dry inside. He did not mention anything else.

My point is that I would have fixed the issue earlier if it had been reported. And the repairs would not be so expensive. Am I liable for their failure to report it?
It was not a broken pipe or sudden flood. Only a small drip that caused damage over time.

Thank you

LIZS Sat 14-Feb-15 13:42:55

I fear you are liable . Just because he didn't alert you until it dripped through doesn't mean it would have been obvious before. The insulation and building materials could absorb a fair amount of damp over time.

BifsWif Tue 17-Feb-15 21:07:37

I worked in buildings insurance for many years.
Firstly - have you notified your insurer? IF you are liable they will pay the excess. They will also want to send their own surveyor/loss adjuster if you are concerned your neighbour may be trying it on. A slow leak has the potential to cause a massive amount of damage, however I would be surprised if they didn't notice any damage at all if it is as extensive as they are claiming. Don't just pay up, it sounds a bit fishy to me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: